Pack lots of layers
Layer, even if you think you won't need to. Forget what you've read about sunny California: San Francisco in summer is subject to finger-numbing fogs, and even Los Angeles has its chilly days. Also, malls, museums, cinemas, and airlines cabins are often air-conditioned to a wintry degree. The best bet is a lightweight, waterproof jacket, stuffable into your carry-on. A shawl-size scarf--virtually weightless and warm--is a woman's best friend, and can act as a beach cover-up or wrap.
From the Forums: Bare minimum packing list 8 days in France in September?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $231 & up -- Upscale All-Incl. Cancun Resort w/Flight CreditBookIt.com
- $1267 & up -- Costa Rica: 4-City, 7-Night Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $2999 -- 10-Night Award-Winning Asia Cruise, Save $1000Windstar Cruises
- $956 & up -- Aruba: 5-Nt. Vacation Packages w/AirApple Vacations
- $599 & up -- Cancun: 3-Nt. All-Incl. Vacation w/Air, 40% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $234 & up -- Cayman Island Travel Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism