Birdwatching in Costa Rica: 1 Out of Every 6 Americans Needs to Try It!
A recent study by the Fish and Wildlife Service found that a surprising one in six US citizens are birdwatchers—That's 48 million fellow birders in the US alone! While many of us plan our birding trips to the northern parts of the country (Montana, Maine, Vermont, Minnesota and Iowa are top birding destinations), we highly recommend traveling south to Costa Rica.
Costa Rica has less than 0.03% of the planet's surface, but you'll find some 875 bird species, more than the United States and Canada combined. The sheer variety and abundance of birds here makes bird-watching a daily pastime.
You don't have to stray far from your hotel or even need binoculars to spot, for instance, a kaleidoscopic-colored Keel-billed Toucan. But armed with a pair of binoculars and a birding guide, the sky is literally the limit for the numbers of birds you can see.
According to Fodor's member gannetmusic:
"Arenal is on the Caribbean slope and is the most diverse area for birds in Costa Rica... If this is your first taste of Central American birding I suggest a guide who can help sort out the similar species and identify birds by song, as well as knowing good locations to visit."
Check out the type of birds you can expect to see in Costa Rica.
If you've never gone wildlife or bird watching but would like to try, here are a few pointers to get you started.
Photo courtesy of rachfog on flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $249* -- Seattle to Fairbanks this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $69* -- San Jose to Portland this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $129-$159 -- Tucson AAA 4-Diamond Resort, Save 45%The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $519 & up -- Alaska: 7-Night Summer Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $279* -- Anchorage to San Francisco this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $79 & up -- Orlando Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago