5 Must-Do Experiences in London This Summer
Planning a trip to London soon? The British capital's many parks and Thames-side walkways are perfect for strolling in warm weather, but be sure to check out these special events for summer 2009.
The Design Museum's Super Contemporary exhibition (to Sept. 13) is worth the £6–8.50 price for big-name designers' takes on London icons, including those red double-decker buses. You can enjoy London's major museums for free all the time, including the massive British Museum, National Gallery, Tate Britain, and Tate Modern.
Henry VIII History
For the 500th anniversary of Henry VIII's ascension to the throne, special programs and exhibitions are ongoing at Henry's famous haunts. His weddings and women are highlighted at Hampton Court Palace, while The Tower of London focuses on the monarch's style.
Shakespeare in the Open Air
The South Bank's recreated Shakespeare's Globe Theatre has standing-room only £5 "groundling" tickets in the uncovered theatre as well as seats for it's May–Oct. season. Regents Park Open Air Theatre is a magical setting for the current summer season's shows: Much Ado About Nothing and the Tempest.
The Natural History Museum is celebrating Darwin's 200th birthday right now, while the Darwin Centre expansion opens in September. 2009 is also the International Year of Astronomy—Greenwhich's Royal Observatory has ongoing special programs and events.
Shopping on Sale
Biannual sales in late June (and just after Christmas) are the perfect excuse to venture beyond Harrods. Check out the latest fashions at department store Selfridges, which is celebrating its 100th aniversary this year.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $549 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Spring, $440 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $549 & up -- Caribbean Cruise w/Upgrade; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $2499 -- Oceanview: 7-Night Luxe Alaska Cruise incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $234 & up -- Cayman Island Travel Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Depatment of Tourism
- $1029* -- Fly Nonstop to Fiji from West Coast, R/T incl. TaxFiji Airways