Consider driving to another airport to use your frequent-flier miles
Fodor's member mrssparky recently asked fellow travelers in our Air Travel Forum how far they were willing to drive in order to use accumulated frequent flier miles. In her situation, she was unable to book tickets using her miles from the airport closest to her home, but found that there were options from a larger hub farther away. According to one member, shirleyk, the savings are sometimes worth the drive:
"We have driven 4 hours from our home to get good flight prices. We usually will drive to near the airport the day before, stay at a hotel that has free transportation to the airport and offers free parking of our car while we are gone. Then when we return, get the free shuttle to the hotel, and drive home. Sometime we have saved $800 EACH on the price of the flight by doing this, but mostly saved $200 or $300 each. If you are using FF miles, you are only paying the taxes and the overnight at a hotel (if you stay over)."
From the Forums: How far would you drive to use frequent flier miles?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo
- $3199 & up -- China: 5-Star, 20-Night Tour w/Cruise & AirSinorama Holidays
- $137* & up -- Nationwide Flight Sale on American, R/TAmerican Airlines
- $60 & up -- Myrtle Beach Resort with Waterpark, Save 20%SeaCrest Oceanfront Resort
- $3084* & up -- Premium Economy to New Zealand from LA, R/TAir New Zealand
- $9.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $139-$159 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. Holidays, 50% OffThe Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter