Dine Like the Obamas in NYC
President Obama and First Lady Michelle enjoyed a night out in New York last weekend, dining at Blue Hill, an upscale Greenwich Village restaurant renowned for its commitment to seasonality and sustainable agriculture. Chef-owner Dan Barber is said to have created a custom tasting menu for the First Couple, which included numerous ingredients from the restaurant's two satellite farms, and other Hudson Valley farms. Barber was recently named by Time magazine as one of the "World's Most Influential People" (an honor he shares with both the President and First Lady) for his work to promote consciousness about food choices and sustainability.
For the next few months, reservations at Blue Hill—and sister restaurant Blue Hill at Stone Barns, located on a farm outside of the city—may be difficult to come by, but that doesn't mean you're out of luck. Several Manhattan restaurants share Blue Hill's ethos and culinary style, showcasing the best of region's local bounty.
In Soho, chef-owner Peter Hoffman has been creating greenmarket-focused fare at upscale American restaurant Savoy for over 20 years. On weekday mornings, look for Hoffman at the Union Square Greenmarket, strapping produce onto his bike cart for the night's service. (To sample his cooking on a budget, try Hoffman's East Village restaurant Back Forty, where most entrees run $16 to $18.) Tom Colicchio's Craft restaurants, especially Craft and Craftbar, offer excellent, locally sourced American cuisine just north of Union Square. Nearby, Gramercy Tavern also sources close to home and is one of the most popular restaurants in the city.
Follow up your dinner with a Broadway show (the Obamas saw Joe Turner's Come and Gone) and you can do Date Night like the President.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now | Fodor's
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- $149 & up -- LA: West Hollywood Hotel Deals w/ExtrasVisit West Hollywood
- $169 & up -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $169 & up -- NYC: 4-Star Manhattan Hotel w/Wi-Fi, 45% OffBookIt.com
- $60 & up -- Myrtle Beach Fall Deals, Save up to 20%Visit Myrtle Beach
- $239 & up -- Mediterranean Cruises incl. Italy & SpainNorwegian Cruise Line
- $139-$159 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. Holidays, 50% OffThe Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter