Dine Like the Obamas in NYC
President Obama and First Lady Michelle enjoyed a night out in New York last weekend, dining at Blue Hill, an upscale Greenwich Village restaurant renowned for its commitment to seasonality and sustainable agriculture. Chef-owner Dan Barber is said to have created a custom tasting menu for the First Couple, which included numerous ingredients from the restaurant's two satellite farms, and other Hudson Valley farms. Barber was recently named by Time magazine as one of the "World's Most Influential People" (an honor he shares with both the President and First Lady) for his work to promote consciousness about food choices and sustainability.
For the next few months, reservations at Blue Hill—and sister restaurant Blue Hill at Stone Barns, located on a farm outside of the city—may be difficult to come by, but that doesn't mean you're out of luck. Several Manhattan restaurants share Blue Hill's ethos and culinary style, showcasing the best of region's local bounty.
In Soho, chef-owner Peter Hoffman has been creating greenmarket-focused fare at upscale American restaurant Savoy for over 20 years. On weekday mornings, look for Hoffman at the Union Square Greenmarket, strapping produce onto his bike cart for the night's service. (To sample his cooking on a budget, try Hoffman's East Village restaurant Back Forty, where most entrees run $16 to $18.) Tom Colicchio's Craft restaurants, especially Craft and Craftbar, offer excellent, locally sourced American cuisine just north of Union Square. Nearby, Gramercy Tavern also sources close to home and is one of the most popular restaurants in the city.
Follow up your dinner with a Broadway show (the Obamas saw Joe Turner's Come and Gone) and you can do Date Night like the President.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $549 & up --Ends 4/18: Bahamas 7-Night Cruises w/CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1749 & up -- 5-Star Luxe Oahu Vacation w/Air, $953 OffApple Vacations
- $599 & up -- 5-Nt. Jamaica All-Incl. Getaway w/Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $999 & up -- Maui: 5-Nt. Trip w/Hawaiian Activities & AirApple Vacations
- $769 & up -- Cancun: Iberostar Garden Bungalow Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $1225 & Up -- Waikiki: 4-Star Hilton Oceanview Stay w/AirApple Vacations