Dine Like the Obamas in NYC
President Obama and First Lady Michelle enjoyed a night out in New York last weekend, dining at Blue Hill, an upscale Greenwich Village restaurant renowned for its commitment to seasonality and sustainable agriculture. Chef-owner Dan Barber is said to have created a custom tasting menu for the First Couple, which included numerous ingredients from the restaurant's two satellite farms, and other Hudson Valley farms. Barber was recently named by Time magazine as one of the "World's Most Influential People" (an honor he shares with both the President and First Lady) for his work to promote consciousness about food choices and sustainability.
For the next few months, reservations at Blue Hill—and sister restaurant Blue Hill at Stone Barns, located on a farm outside of the city—may be difficult to come by, but that doesn't mean you're out of luck. Several Manhattan restaurants share Blue Hill's ethos and culinary style, showcasing the best of region's local bounty.
In Soho, chef-owner Peter Hoffman has been creating greenmarket-focused fare at upscale American restaurant Savoy for over 20 years. On weekday mornings, look for Hoffman at the Union Square Greenmarket, strapping produce onto his bike cart for the night's service. (To sample his cooking on a budget, try Hoffman's East Village restaurant Back Forty, where most entrees run $16 to $18.) Tom Colicchio's Craft restaurants, especially Craft and Craftbar, offer excellent, locally sourced American cuisine just north of Union Square. Nearby, Gramercy Tavern also sources close to home and is one of the most popular restaurants in the city.
Follow up your dinner with a Broadway show (the Obamas saw Joe Turner's Come and Gone) and you can do Date Night like the President.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- Top 5 Things to Do in Queens
- 5 Reasons to Visit Houston Now
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Checking In: Park Hyatt New York
- 20 US Places to See Before You Die
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $629 & up -- Jamaica Beach Trip w/Air & Kids Free, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $118 & up -- Downtown D.C. Holiday Hotel Sale, up to 30% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $165 & up -- Bermuda Hotel Sale w/Free Nights, up to 65% OffBermuda Tourism Authority
- $1379 -- South Ireland 6-Night Gold Package in AprilTourism Ireland
- $159 & up -- LA: West Hollywood Hotel Deals w/ExtrasVisit West Hollywood
- $144-$154 -- Suite: 4-Star All-Incl. Jamaica Resort, 50% OffBookIt.com