42 Things to Do with Kids in New York City
New York is virtually stuffed with fun activities that can keep you and your kids busy day and night. Here we've tried to cherry-pick ones by neighborhood that make this place a wonderland for the young.
Top Central Park Experiences with Kids
1. Hop on a horse at the park's carousel.
2. Visit the playful polar bears Ida and Gus at the Central Park Zoo before you grab a spot to watch the sea lion feeding.
3. Go fishing at Harlem Meer, then snap a picture with your kid's catch of the day before tossing it back in the water.
4. Rent a model sailboat at Conservatory Water; afterward check in with Alice, of Wonderland fame, at the pool's northern end.
5. Catch the marionette show at the Swedish Cottage for old-fashioned entertainment pre-YouTube style.
Top Upper East Side Experiences with Kids
1. Stop to watch canines of all sizes at the Carl Schurz Park dog runs as your family strolls along the beautiful riverside.
2. Let the kids swirl down the spiral ramp at the Guggenheim.
4. Find the precious kids' clothes you won't find elsewhere. Most shops are along Madison Avenue from the 80s to the 90s.
Top Upper West Side Experiences with Kids
2. Treat the young ladies in your family to a special afternoon tea at Alice's Tea Cup, then buy them a pair of butterfly wings for dress-up when they get home. Let your kids join you on a treasure hunt at the Sunday flea market on Columbus Avenue between 76th and 77th streets, where they can find cool jewelry, posters, and other goodies.
3. Stare down Tyrannosaurus Rex and the rest of the dinosaurs in the amazing Fossil Hall at the American Museum of Natural History. Can you find the mummified dinosaur eggs?
4. Explore five floors of interactive exhibits at the Children's Museum of Manhattan.
Top Lower Manhattan Experiences with Kids
2. Enjoy the crazy street life, jump on a boat, and catch a glimpse of old New York at the South Street Seaport.
3. Visit Chinatown to sample dim sum, soup dumplings, and tapioca pearls in a bubble tea.
5. Look back at one of the greatest views of Manhattan by walking to the center of the the Brooklyn Bridge over the East River.
6. Sample the unusual ice cream flavors available at Chinatown Ice Cream Factory.
Top East Village and Lower East Side Experiences with Kids
1. Experience New York's Jewish heritage with a visit to the extraordinary Eldridge Synagogue.
2. Trek among the hipsters, punk rockers, and tattooed and pierced people along St. Mark's Place.
3. Savor a taste of old NYC with a visit to Bamn! Automat at 37 St. Marks Place and 2nd Avenue, where you can select your corn dog or slider from inside a glass window. Wash it down with an egg cream at Gem Spa across the street.
4. Watch all dogs go to heaven at the dog runs at Tompkins Square Park. Have you ever seen a park with doggie swimming pools and drinking fountains?
5. Walk back into NYC's immigrant past at the Lower East Side Tenement Museum.
Top Village/Chelsea Experiences with Kids
1. Take in the many street musician performers or grab a game of chess in Washington Square Park.
3. Join the queue at Sex and the City fave Magnolia Bakery for one of their pastel-frosted cupcakes.
4. Climb the 30-foot rock wall, skate, bowl, or hit some golf balls at the gigantic Chelsea Piers sports complex.
Top Midtown Experiences with Kids
1. Sing along with your waitress at Ellen's Stardust Diner, a 50's style diner with trains and singing waitstaff.
3. See one of Broadway's many kid-friendly shows. Our members recommend Billy Elliott, Lion King, Mary Poppins, and In the Heights.
4.Visit the newly restored Plaza Hotel, the stomping grounds of the legendary Eloise. It will also be familiar to viewers of the move Home Alone 2.
5. Shop, shop, shop. The NBA Store, American Girl Place, H&M, Abercombie & Fitch... all your tweens' and teens' favorites are here.
Top SoHo/Little Italy Experiences with Kids
1. Treat your tots to Italian sweets, from pignoli cookies and creamy cannolis to marzipan-coated cassatas.
3. Shop until your kids drop at the Scholastic Store, home of all things Clifford, Captain Underpants, and Harry Potter
4. Take a whirl around Little Italy during the 11-day Feast of San Gennaro Festival in September, one of the city's liveliest outdoor street fairs.
Top Brooklyn Experiences with Kids
1. Take the subway all the way to Coney Island, where you can catch some minor league baseball, build sandcastles on the beach, test your fearlessness on the famous Cyclone roller coaster, and eat the hot dogs that made Nathan's a New York legend.
2. Enjoy a lazy day at Prospect Park pedal boating or birdwatching, or simply kicking back and playing catch on the gorgeous grounds.
3. Board the New York Water Taxi from Manhattan to DUMBO's Fulton Ferry Landing for a taste of everything Brooklyn: ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, fabulous pizza at Grimaldi's, and chocolate from Jacques Torres. Work off those calories playing in the wonderful new waterfront parks.
4. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn to get an entirely different perspective of the experience of the NYC skyline rising up to greet you.
Plan Your New York City Trip
Member Comments (4) Post a Comment
Staten Island has been part of the City of New York since 1898 and your author seemed to have ignored it...Well, I can fill in the blanks about kids activities!
Sailor Snug has a Childrens Museum that is state of the art, clean, and never too crowded! Plenty of parking ...strol around the 25 acres of open space, run, play, and chase butterflies! (Parents, note that Herman Melville lived in the Governors House with his brother...and artist John Noble Collection is fascinating for adults and kids alike! )
Staten Island Zoo has the largest reptile collection in the USA! and a new outdoor Leopard Exhibit...
Richmondtown Historic Village - a living museum with 24 historic homes from 1600s to early 1900s...and often has actors in historic garb presenting exhibits (e.g., woodcarers, coopers, bakers using 350 yr old stone oven, tinsmith, printer, etc)
Tibetan Museum - perched on a hill 210 ft above sea level, this jewel on the hill has the oldest collection of Tibetan Art in the West...and has been visited and blessed by the Dalai Lama. (Only 1/2 mile from Richmondtown!)
I found an article which talk about a very nice exhibition in New York. It's for children (and adults!) and it recreate our childhood universe. I recommend it if you want have a great family moment. Here it's the link: http://www.frenchcultureguide.com/05/where-the-wild-things-are-robert-delpires-children-books/
Don't forget the Cradle of Aviation Museum. Kids love it, I know mine do. Also, if on a tight budget for your trip check out Aviloop.com they are having a 2 for 1 deal this week on it. Only $19 for 2 tickets, not bad if you ask me.
There is nothing better than Blue Man Group in the city for kids with short attention spans. My son won't sit still for anything... except the sensory explosion of the Blue Man Group. We've seen the show 7 times now, we were both delighted to find they had just updated the show and we were treated to some new stuff. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Here's a little more info:
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- Riviera Maya: All-Incl. Beach Getaway w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $1368* & up -- Fly to Australia: 6 Cities on Sale, R/TAir New Zealand
- $539 & up -- La Romana: 4-Star All-Incl. 'Dreams' Trip w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $1313 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $101 & up -- Puerto Vallarta All-Incl. Beach Resort, 50% OffHotel Riu Palace Pacifico
- $134-$151 -- Cabo All-Inclusive Beach Resort, Save 50%Riu Santa Fe