The Adventure Traveler: A Happy Camper Gift Guide
Here are our favorite gift ideas for the outdoor-oriented traveler in your life, whether they love to birdwatch in Costa Rica or trek in the nearest national park. This is the first in a series of gift guides for every kind of traveler. Stay tuned.
Stocking Stuffers (under $25)
Never go hungry again, or at least always have a utensil handy. The Light My Fire Spork ($3 for one, $9.95 for pack of four) comes in six bright colors and has a spoon on one side and a fork-knife combination on the other.
Flatworld Orikaso makes camping origami. Cups, bowls, and mugs ($4.99–$5.99) start out flat and fold into shape. They're great space savers and extremely lightweight.
If you must give socks, grab the high-tech water wicking ones, like SmartWool Hiking Socks ($16.95).
Mid-Range (under $50)
Go hands-free with a headlamp. The PETZL Tikka XP ($49.94) is excellent, with 3 lighting settings and flood or spot beam. The less expensive PETZL Tikkina LED Headlamp ($23.95) also makes a good stocking stuffer and both make great reading lights for home use, too.
The GSI Dualist Cook System ($49.94) cooks up a perfect breakfast for two. It contains a lightweight 1.8 liter pot, 2 insulated cups with removable sip-through tops, and 2 bowls, and best of all they all fit inside the pot.
Pricey (under $100)
After a long hike, the ENO Doublenest Hammock ($64.95) is a wonderful place for a nap. It's unbelievably small, about the size of a grapefruit, and weighs a little over a pound. Make the gift complete with a pair of ENO SlapStraps ($19.95) for super easy set up between trees. This is also great for parks and beaches.
Keep them hydrated with room for snacks with the CamelBak M.U.L.E. Hydration Pack ($85.00). This backpack carries a water reservoir with a hose for easy drinking on the trail.
Photo courtesy of Light My Fire
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $459 & up -- Weeklong Canada & New England CruiseCarnival Cruise Lines
- $7399 -- Luxury Mediterranean Cruise w/Excursions & R/T AirRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $1267 & up -- Ireland in Fall: 8-Nt. Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $119 & up -- 4-Star San Diego Hotels, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $519 & up -- Cabo & Puerto Vallarta 7-Night CruiseCarnival Cruise Lines
- $149-$179 -- Palm Springs 4-Star Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa