The Adventure Traveler: A Happy Camper Gift Guide
Here are our favorite gift ideas for the outdoor-oriented traveler in your life, whether they love to birdwatch in Costa Rica or trek in the nearest national park. This is the first in a series of gift guides for every kind of traveler. Stay tuned.
Stocking Stuffers (under $25)
Never go hungry again, or at least always have a utensil handy. The Light My Fire Spork ($3 for one, $9.95 for pack of four) comes in six bright colors and has a spoon on one side and a fork-knife combination on the other.
Flatworld Orikaso makes camping origami. Cups, bowls, and mugs ($4.99–$5.99) start out flat and fold into shape. They're great space savers and extremely lightweight.
If you must give socks, grab the high-tech water wicking ones, like SmartWool Hiking Socks ($16.95).
Mid-Range (under $50)
Go hands-free with a headlamp. The PETZL Tikka XP ($49.94) is excellent, with 3 lighting settings and flood or spot beam. The less expensive PETZL Tikkina LED Headlamp ($23.95) also makes a good stocking stuffer and both make great reading lights for home use, too.
The GSI Dualist Cook System ($49.94) cooks up a perfect breakfast for two. It contains a lightweight 1.8 liter pot, 2 insulated cups with removable sip-through tops, and 2 bowls, and best of all they all fit inside the pot.
Pricey (under $100)
After a long hike, the ENO Doublenest Hammock ($64.95) is a wonderful place for a nap. It's unbelievably small, about the size of a grapefruit, and weighs a little over a pound. Make the gift complete with a pair of ENO SlapStraps ($19.95) for super easy set up between trees. This is also great for parks and beaches.
Keep them hydrated with room for snacks with the CamelBak M.U.L.E. Hydration Pack ($85.00). This backpack carries a water reservoir with a hose for easy drinking on the trail.
Photo courtesy of Light My Fire
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Things NOT to Do in Chicago
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Luxury Hotels to Visit in the Off-Season
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- $325 -- Waikiki: 5-Star Royal Hawaiian Resort, 40% OffBookIt.com
- $3199 & up -- China: 5-Star, 20-Night Tour w/Cruise & AirSinorama Holidays
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $9.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $335 & up -- Suite: 5-Star Beachfront Maui Resort, 55% OffBookIt.com
- $20 & up -- Arizona Tour, Spa, Golf & Dining Deals, 70% OffVisit Arizona