The Adventure Traveler: A Happy Camper Gift Guide
Here are our favorite gift ideas for the outdoor-oriented traveler in your life, whether they love to birdwatch in Costa Rica or trek in the nearest national park. This is the first in a series of gift guides for every kind of traveler. Stay tuned.
Stocking Stuffers (under $25)
Never go hungry again, or at least always have a utensil handy. The Light My Fire Spork ($3 for one, $9.95 for pack of four) comes in six bright colors and has a spoon on one side and a fork-knife combination on the other.
Flatworld Orikaso makes camping origami. Cups, bowls, and mugs ($4.99–$5.99) start out flat and fold into shape. They're great space savers and extremely lightweight.
If you must give socks, grab the high-tech water wicking ones, like SmartWool Hiking Socks ($16.95).
Mid-Range (under $50)
Go hands-free with a headlamp. The PETZL Tikka XP ($49.94) is excellent, with 3 lighting settings and flood or spot beam. The less expensive PETZL Tikkina LED Headlamp ($23.95) also makes a good stocking stuffer and both make great reading lights for home use, too.
The GSI Dualist Cook System ($49.94) cooks up a perfect breakfast for two. It contains a lightweight 1.8 liter pot, 2 insulated cups with removable sip-through tops, and 2 bowls, and best of all they all fit inside the pot.
Pricey (under $100)
After a long hike, the ENO Doublenest Hammock ($64.95) is a wonderful place for a nap. It's unbelievably small, about the size of a grapefruit, and weighs a little over a pound. Make the gift complete with a pair of ENO SlapStraps ($19.95) for super easy set up between trees. This is also great for parks and beaches.
Keep them hydrated with room for snacks with the CamelBak M.U.L.E. Hydration Pack ($85.00). This backpack carries a water reservoir with a hose for easy drinking on the trail.
Photo courtesy of Light My Fire
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers