What to Ask Your African Safari Specialist Before You Commit
After months or even years of planning, the moment has finally arrived-- you've chosen your safari operator and it's time to send them the deposit. But wait!! Who are these people, really, and can you trust them? Below is our list of essential questions to ask before you make your final commitment.
If you think we've missed any, please feel free to jump over to the forums thread and add your own.
1. Do you handle Africa exclusively?
2. How many years have you been selling tours in Africa?
3. Are you or any of the staff native to the continent?
4. To which professional organizations do you belong? For example, the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) or the United States Tour Operators Association (USTOA)?
5. Has your company received any accolades or awards relating to Africa?
6. Can you provide a reference list of past clients?
7. How often do you and your staff visit Africa?
8. Have you ever visited Africa yourself?
9. What sort of support do you have in Africa?
10. Do you charge a fee? (Agents and operators usually make their money through commissions.)
11. What is your cancellation policy?
12. Can you handle arrangements from start to finish, including flights?
13. What is your contingency plan in case of war or terrorism?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- America's Best Wine Bars
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways