What to Ask Your African Safari Specialist Before You Commit
After months or even years of planning, the moment has finally arrived-- you've chosen your safari operator and it's time to send them the deposit. But wait!! Who are these people, really, and can you trust them? Below is our list of essential questions to ask before you make your final commitment.
If you think we've missed any, please feel free to jump over to the forums thread and add your own.
1. Do you handle Africa exclusively?
2. How many years have you been selling tours in Africa?
3. Are you or any of the staff native to the continent?
4. To which professional organizations do you belong? For example, the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) or the United States Tour Operators Association (USTOA)?
5. Has your company received any accolades or awards relating to Africa?
6. Can you provide a reference list of past clients?
7. How often do you and your staff visit Africa?
8. Have you ever visited Africa yourself?
9. What sort of support do you have in Africa?
10. Do you charge a fee? (Agents and operators usually make their money through commissions.)
11. What is your cancellation policy?
12. Can you handle arrangements from start to finish, including flights?
13. What is your contingency plan in case of war or terrorism?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- Vote for Fodor's Travel to Go to the 2015 SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $849 -- 10-Nt. Asia Cruise on Royal Caribbean w/$150 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $649 & up -- Los Cabos: All-Incl. Beach Getaway w/Spa CreditCheapCaribbean.com
- $1424 -- Oceanview: 10-Nt. Hawaii Cruise w/All Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $599 & up -- 4-Star All-Incl. Punta Cana Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $679* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $559 -- Cruise Two Continents: 15 Nights plus $100 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet