What to Ask Your African Safari Specialist Before You Commit
After months or even years of planning, the moment has finally arrived-- you've chosen your safari operator and it's time to send them the deposit. But wait!! Who are these people, really, and can you trust them? Below is our list of essential questions to ask before you make your final commitment.
If you think we've missed any, please feel free to jump over to the forums thread and add your own.
1. Do you handle Africa exclusively?
2. How many years have you been selling tours in Africa?
3. Are you or any of the staff native to the continent?
4. To which professional organizations do you belong? For example, the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) or the United States Tour Operators Association (USTOA)?
5. Has your company received any accolades or awards relating to Africa?
6. Can you provide a reference list of past clients?
7. How often do you and your staff visit Africa?
8. Have you ever visited Africa yourself?
9. What sort of support do you have in Africa?
10. Do you charge a fee? (Agents and operators usually make their money through commissions.)
11. What is your cancellation policy?
12. Can you handle arrangements from start to finish, including flights?
13. What is your contingency plan in case of war or terrorism?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now | Fodor's
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 13 Family-Friendly Hotels for Your Next Big Vacation
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally | Fodor's
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- Fall Travel: 5 Essentials for a Hudson Valley Escape | Fodor's
- $1099 & up -- Cozumel: Weeklong All-Incl. Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $95-$115 -- Downtown St. Louis Hotel, 60% OffSheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites
- $139 -- Luxe Colorado Resort incl. Parking, 50% OffWestin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $149 & up -- SoCal: Carlsbad Resort near Legoland, 40% OffSheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
- $233-$269 -- NYC: Times Square Hotel incl. Holidays, 35% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $2899 -- Vietnam: 7-Night Escorted Vacation w/Air & MealsSinorama Holidays