What to Ask Your African Safari Specialist Before You Commit
After months or even years of planning, the moment has finally arrived-- you've chosen your safari operator and it's time to send them the deposit. But wait!! Who are these people, really, and can you trust them? Below is our list of essential questions to ask before you make your final commitment.
If you think we've missed any, please feel free to jump over to the forums thread and add your own.
1. Do you handle Africa exclusively?
2. How many years have you been selling tours in Africa?
3. Are you or any of the staff native to the continent?
4. To which professional organizations do you belong? For example, the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) or the United States Tour Operators Association (USTOA)?
5. Has your company received any accolades or awards relating to Africa?
6. Can you provide a reference list of past clients?
7. How often do you and your staff visit Africa?
8. Have you ever visited Africa yourself?
9. What sort of support do you have in Africa?
10. Do you charge a fee? (Agents and operators usually make their money through commissions.)
11. What is your cancellation policy?
12. Can you handle arrangements from start to finish, including flights?
13. What is your contingency plan in case of war or terrorism?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $219 & up -- Mediterranean Cruises incl. Italy & SpainNorwegian Cruise Line
- $203 & up -- S.C.: 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, 35% OffThe Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $169-$199 -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, 35% OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $119 & up -- D.C. Area Hotel Sale thru Summer, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $219 -- Hawaii: Waikiki 4-Star Beach Resort, Save 30%Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa
- $539 & up -- La Romana: 4-Star All-Incl. 'Dreams' Trip w/AirCheapCaribbean.com