U.S. Hot Spots: Florida's Best Budget Beach Vacations
Over the past 20 years, no American beach has generated as much buzz as the one that hugs Ocean Drive, and it's easy to see why. Fringed with palms, backed by Art Deco architecture, and pulsating with urban energy, South Beach is the place to stretch out or strut.
Where to Stay: If money isn't an object, stay in one of the glamorous hotels lining Collins Avenue between 15th and 21st streets. Otherwise, stay on the quiet beaches farther north, or in one of the small hotels on Collins or Washington Avenues between 10th and 15th streets. If you're willing to have a room without an ocean view, you can sometimes get a price much lower than the standard rate.
Save: Cadet Hotel
Daytona Beach and the Space Coast
The Daytona 500, Bike Week, and Spring Break put it on the map, but Daytona Beach has become a popular family vacation destination; so, too, is the Space Coast, home to Canaveral National Seashore, Cocoa Beach, and John F. Kennedy Space Center.
Where to Stay: Fall is the slowest season: rates are low and availability is high, but it is also the prime time for hurricanes. Be sure to carefully look at your chosen hotel's cancellation policy and consider purchasing travel insurance.
Save: Hampton Inn Titusville
Splurge: The Shores Resort & Spa
The Panhandle's Gulf Coast
Although northwest Florida has a surplus of Grade-A Gulf beaches, Grayton Beach is arguably the pick of the bunch. Halfway between Panama City and Pensacola, it has shockingly white sand and aqua-green water clear as any you'd find in the Keys or the Bahamas.
Where to Stay: Many of the lodging options here revolve around extended-stay options: resorts, condos, and time shares that allow for a week or more in simple efficiencies as well as fully-furnished homes. There are also cabins, such as the ones that rest between the dunes at Grayton Beach. Local visitors bureaus often act as clearinghouses for these types of properties, and you can also search online for vacation rentals on sites like VRBO. On the coast, but especially inland, the hotel choices seem geared more toward mom-and-pop motels in addition to the usual line of chain hotels.
Splurge: Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort
Sand comes with a side order of history at Fort De Soto Park. Spread over five interconnecting islands southwest of St. Petersburg, the park's bountiful beaches have been added to the list of "America's Best" by Stephen Leatherman—otherwise known as Dr. Beach.
Where to Stay: In our Forums, Fodor's members often advise travelers heading to the Tampa Bay Area for the beaches to choose accommodations closer to St. Petersburg than Tampa due to heavy traffic in and out of Tampa.
Save: Island's End Resort
Splurge: Don CeSar Beach Resort
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Many think winter is the high season in Florida....season makes a huge difference in crowds and price! If you want low season rates in the winter, enjoy the Florida Panhandle!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $99 & up -- Austin Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $143 & up -- San Francisco Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1394 & up -- Ireland: 6-Night Dublin Escape w/Air & ToursSceptre Tours
- $476 & up -- Fiji Travel Deals up to $2000 OffTourism Fiji
- $399 -- 7 Night Cruise to St. Maarten from MiamiMSC Cruises
- $389 & up -- 4- and 5-Day Cruises to Canada & New EnglandCarnival Cruise Lines