Budget Vacations: Paris vs. New York
New York City's streets are packed with visitors and, if our Forums are any indication, Paris remains an unfailingly attractive vacation option. While you could easily spend a month's mortgage in one night in either one of these two culture capitals, many of both cities' most pleasurable experiences are priceless.
5 Fun and Free Things to Do in NYC
- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for a spectacular view of the East River and seaport. Do it before October 13 for a chance to see the New York City Waterfalls exhibit.| Rate this free experience
- Educate thyself with a summer performance at Shakespeare in the Park. | Explore Central Park
- Explore MoMa on Friday between 4 and 8 PM, when the entry fee is waived. | Rate this free experience
- Ride the Staten Island ferryto see the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the southern tip of Manhattan from the water. | Rate this free experience
- Marvel at Grand Central Terminal's spectacular main concourse; the ceiling painted with night-sky constellations is one of the city's treasures. | Rate this free experience
Talk travel in the Forums: What is your favorite free thing to do in New York City?
5 Fun and Free Things to Do in Paris
- Get a feel for Paris past and present at the Musée Carnavalet, where you can see a collection of old signs, relics from bars and cafés, and paintings of what the city looked like before it was fully developed. | Rate this free experience
- See a free concert during Paris Plage, in late summer, when free nightly pop and rock concerts fill the quays of the Seine with music.
- Walk the poetic streets of St-Germain as you become what Parisians call le flâneur: "one who strolls or loiters." | Explore St-Germain
- Park yourself for some people watching at Jardin Luxembourg, which even has some handy reclining chairs for your enjoyment. | Rate this free experience
- Take in some fine photography at the Maison Européene de la Photographie, a perennial favorite for pros and amateur photographers alike, which is open free on Wednesdays from 5 to 8. | Rate this free experience
Talk travel in the Forums: What is your favorite free thing to do in Paris?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Fodor's Go List 2014
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 7 Reasons to Go to Miami this Winter
- Weekend Escape: Holiday Shopping in NYC
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- Mexico City's Coolest New Museums
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand