Forgotten Classic Road Trips: Route 66
The Mother Road is America's most romanticized classic road. One of the greatest joys of this 2000+ mile journey from Chicago, Illinois to Santa Monica, California is the '50s time-warp you'll experience via the many kitschy roadside attractions, old diners, and motels that crop up in the middle of nowhere (often marked by huge elaborate neon signs)—as well as the seemingly endless but never boring "get your kicks on Route 66" nostalgia that is inseparably part of this road's ethos.
Only scattered segments of the old highway remain, but the remnants epitomize the classic American road trip. One of the longest surviving stretches of Route 66 starts in Arcadia, Oklahoma, just northeast of Oklahoma City (while you're here, look for the round red barn, a terrific little Route 66 museum and gift shop) and ends in Stroud, Oklahoma.
The drive in New Mexico between Gallup and Grants across the Zuni and Navajo Nation Indian Reservations (on what's now Highway 53) is also wonderful. Other high points include the Grand Canyon; the Cahokia Mounds in Collinsville, Illinois; Albuquerque, New Mexico; and the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri.
Route 66 is not shown on modern maps. Before you set off on your journey, visit the National Historic Route 66 Federation to purchase maps and meticulous turn-by-turn directions for the entire route, or visit www.historic66.com for free instructions for following the Mother Road.
Getting off the Beaten Path
Can't drive Route 66 this summer? Don't worry, you have other options. Every state boasts at least one distinctive road that tells a story about that place and its people. Most can be driven from start to finish in a day or two. (The Federal Highway Administration's National Scenic Byways Program has a great list at their website, www.byways.org.)Photo credit: (2) Photo by emdot.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $679 & up -- Cabo: Riu Resort w/Kid's Club Trip incl. AirApple Vacations
- $1359 & up -- 9-Night Oahu, Maui & Kauai Vacation w/AirTripMasters.com
- $1329 & up -- Paris & Rome 6-Nts w/Air, Hotels & TransferEuropeanDestinations.com
- $85 & up -- 4- & 5-Star Punta Cana Hotels, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $77 & up -- Suite at North Myrtle Beach Resort, 40% OffBeach Cove Resort
- $2399 -- Luxe 10-Nt. Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, Save $2000Oceania Cruises