Philippe Starck Unveils Fasano Rio Hotel
Looking to bring their lauded luxury touch to Brazil's most celebrated city, the Fasano family unveils the Fasano Rio Hotel August 14 in Rio de Janeiro. The project brought Philippe Starck back to South America following his first foray into the region at the swanky Faena Hotel + Universe in Buenos Aires.
Starck brings his usual spark of creativity to the property, conjuring up the tail end of Rio's Golden Age of the 1950s and 60s, when globetrotting celebrities helped make the city a must-stop jet-set destination. The period furniture found throughout the hotel was created by Starck and other Brazilian designers, like Sergio Rodrigues, and sits well amongst the wood, glass and marble materials used in the 8-story building.
The hotel's 82 rooms and ten suites all have balconies, many with ocean-front views of Ipanema Beach. Butler service, Egyptian cotton sheets, goose down pillows and plasma TVs should make you feel comfortable while you sip a caipirinha in bed. If you can't get enough of those stunning ocean views, head to the bathroom -- all the hotel's showers look east towards the Atlantic. Courtyard-view rooms start at $520 USD. Ocean-view rooms go for $720 USD and ocean-view suites range from $1500 - $2500 USD.
The rooftop pool (guests only) offers stunning panoramas of Rio's storied natural skyline, including the nearby Pao de Acucar (Sugar Loaf Mountain). There's also a fitness center, nightclub (Londra), and upscale shopping options nearby.
The Fasano Rio also includes the Al Mare restaurant, which serves Italian/Brazilian seafood cuisine under the command of Chef Luca Guzzoni, formerly of Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence.
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com