Top 10 U.S. Golf Resorts
- Pebble Beach Golf Resort Pebble Beach, California Play: The ocean plays a major role in the 18th hole of the famed golf course. Stay: Three resort properties, five-star spa facilities, delectable cuisine, and arguably the country's best golf course makes Pebble Beach a special destination whether you're a golfer or not. www.pebblebeach.com
- Bandon Dunes Resort Bandon, Oregon Play: Befitting the Scottish tradition that inspired the courses' design, golf carts are not offered on any of the resort's three courses. A caddie will set you back $50. Stay: Offering private cottages and four-bedroom suites, this secluded Southern Oregon resort is an especially good choice for a getaway with your favorite golf partners. The resort's low-key nightlife is just right for those looking to enjoy a local microbrew and a game of pool with good friends. www.bandondunes.com
- The American Club Kohler, Wisconsin Play: Who knew Wisconsin could be so hot? Four terrific courses (including Whistling Straits) have made Kohler the heartland's golfing heartthrob. Stay: A day of golfing or relaxing? It's a toss-up at one of the Midwest's most luxurious hotel. Massage and a variety of hydrotherapy treatments could keep one happy enough for hours. www.destinationkohler.com
- Sea Island, The Cloister & Lodge Sea Island, Georgia Play: Well-respected golfers Davis Love III and Tom Fazio have both had a hand in developing and updating the three courses at Sea Island. Stay: This grand coastal resort boasts spacious rooms in its Spanish-Mediterranean-style hotel, but for more secluded luxury opt for a Cloister Cottage. Indulge in a Georgia Mud Pie Wrap Soak at the resort's world-famous spa. www.seaisland.com
- The Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia Play: The Greenbrier course, one of three on the property, is the only public course to play host to a Ryder Cup and a Solheim Cup. Stay: Surrounded by 6,500 acres, the Greenbrier's main building was built in 1760. Boredom is physically impossible here; the resort offers an exhausting roster of recreational activities, including horseback riding, falconry, and bowling. www.greenbrier.com
- Pinehurst Resort Pinehurst, North Carolina Play: There are eight courses at Pinehurst each simply numbered. Despite major renovations to the No. 6 course directed by Tom Fazio in 2005, the No. 2 course remains the biggest draw. Stay: The resort features three inns---the elegant Carolina, the cozy Holly Inn, and The Manor, which feels more like a sportsman's lodge than a hotel. The state-of-the-art spa offers separate services for teens and kids. www.pinehurst.com
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai The Big Island, Hawaii Play: Jack Nicklaus designed the resort's 18-hole golf course, which runs right along the Pacific and hosts the Senior PGA Tournament of Champions. Stay: Beautiful views everywhere, polished wood floors, warm earth and cool white tones, and Hawaiian artwork make Hualalai a peaceful retreat. The resort is super kid-friendly, with a great activities program. www.fourseasons.com/hualalai.
- Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay Lanai, Hawaii Play: This course boasts outstanding panoramic view of the ocean, which serves as a water hazard on three holes. Stay: A significant renovation of the hotel is under way and will continue throughout 2006. The effort should enhance the already plush accommodations. www.fourseasons.com/manelebay.
- The Homestead Hot Springs, Virginia Play: The resort's Old Course, laid out in 1892, includes the oldest tee in continuous use in the United States. Backdropped by the Alleghany Mountains, the Cascades Course is beautiful during the turning of the leaves in the fall. Stay: From the glorious columns of the entry hall to the stunning views of the Appalachian Mountains, magnificence surrounds guests here from the first moment to the last. An orchestra plays nightly in the formal dining room, where continental cuisine and regional specialties are offered in its six-course extravaganzas. www.thehomestead.com
- The Boulders Carefree, Arizona Play: Jay Moorish designed both of the resort's championship courses, which wind through the boulder-strewn Sonoran Desert landscape. Schedule a late afternoon tee time to catch the intensely colorful sunsets. Stay: Casitas snuggled against the rocks have exposed log-beam ceilings and curved, pueblo-style half-walls and shelves. Each has a patio with a view, a wood-burning fireplace, and a spacious bathroom with deep soaking tub. Unusual offerings include guided meditation with a shaman and night-vision goggles for exploring nocturnal wildlife. www.theboulders.com. Find a complete list of the country's top courses in Golf Digest Best Places to Play.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I realize I'm late to the party, but I'm surprised that the Silverado Resort in Napa Valley, CA didn't make this list.
From wikipedia: The original 18 hole golf course at Silverado opened in the year 1955. In 1966, Robert Trent Jones, Jr. re-designed the original course and added a second course. The courses have played host to several PGA Tour events including the Kaiser International Open Invitational from 1968 through 1976 and the Anheuser-Busch Golf Classic from 1977 through 1980 as well as the Champions Tour event The Transamerica from 1989 through 2002. The resort also has 16 tennis courts, 10 swimming pools, 280 guest condo hotel units and private cottage suites. There are 300 privately owned condominiums on the grounds of the resort.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 10 Places to Go for Spring 2015
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Washington State
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 6 Must-Have French Beauty Products
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- $499 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruise on Norwegian w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $99 & up -- 4-Star Puerto Vallarta Resort, Save 35%The Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta
- $99 -- Palm Springs 4-Diamond Resort w/$25 Credit, 45% OffGreater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau
- $159 -- Luxe Colorado Resort incl. Weekends this SpringWestin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $1182 -- 10-Night Spring Ireland Vacation incl. Air and CarEuropean Destinations
- $1995 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. Vacation w/ Hotels & SightseeingTrafalgar Tours