Like all big international cities, you can find any type of cuisine your heart desires in Marseille. But why come this far for hamburgers and fries? Seek out local delicacies, which include, among other things, bouillabaisse, a "fisherman's stew" consisting of five kinds of fish simmered in onions, tomatoes and garlic; bouride, poached fish doused in pastis and sprinkled with garlic; sea bass; and seafood dishes that include cigales de mer, a shrimplike crustacean often referred to in these parts as a "sea locust." These and other local specialties---tapenade, soupe au pisto, ratatouille---can be found all over Marseilles, but you're likely to find some of the best versions of these classic dishes at the establishments listed here. La Baie des Singes On a tiny rock-ringed lagoon, this beautiful spot was once a customs house under Napoleon III. The menu boasts bouillabaisse, of course, but also fresh-grilled sardines, mullet, crabs, lobster, and local cigales de mer. It's all served at terrace tables overlooking the water. L'Epuisette Artfully perched on a rocky cliff surrounded by the sea, this seafood restaurant offers gorgeous views of crashing surf on one side and the port of Vallon des Auffes on the other. The kitchen excels at sophisticated cooking---mullet fillets or sea bass, bouillabaisse, bourade, and more. Chez Fonfon Tucked into a picturesque waterside spot in the tiny fishing port Vallon des Auffes, this Marseille landmark has one of the loveliest settings in greater Marseille. Locals indulge in classic bouillabaisse served with all the trimmings---decadently rich broth, hot-chili rouille, and flamboyant table-side filleting. (photo, right) Miramar An institution in these parts, Miramar has been serving up bouillabaisse for decades (it's always on the menu), and the kitchen turns out wonderful variations of the dish. Portside terrace tables take the edge off the interior's red velvet, faded baroque. Click here for more information on Marseille dining.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- World's 10 Best Art Fairs
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- 10 Artists' Homes You Can Visit
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $479 & up -- Weeklong Bermuda Cruises incl. ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $99 & up -- Virginia: 4-Star Resort Deals in Fall, Save 45%Virginia Tourism
- $140 & up -- Downtown D.C. Hotel Sale thru Fall, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $379 & up -- Ends: 9/22: Europe Cruises w/All-Incl. OptionNorwegian Cruise Line
- $479 & up -- Ends 9/22: Bermuda Cruises w/All-Incl. OptionNorwegian Cruise Line
- $325 -- Waikiki 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 20%Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach
* Some taxes, fees additional