Getting the Best Cruise Fare: Don't Pay Brochure Rate
- The date of your cruise: Fares are seasonal, with the lowest from about the second week of September until the week before Thanksgiving and the highest in summer and during holiday periods.
- When you book: Early booking discounts are nearly always offered; last-minute discounts might be available.
- Popularity of the ship: Some ships are stars and fill quickly, while others are wallflowers and just don't book up as fast.
- Itinerary: Certain itineraries hold higher appeal, especially those considered unique or exotic.
- Age: Fare discounts may be available for senior citizens, and children sometimes sail free with their parents.
- Where you live: Regional discounts may be available, particularly if a cruise line is trying to introduce a ship into a port near where you live.
- Group pricing: Even if you're not a member of a group, travel agents may have access to lower group fares.
- Who is your travel agent: Top performing agencies can pass along lower fares to their clients.
- You're a repeat passenger: Discount and other goodies are often available to loyal passengers.
- The accommodations you choose: Advertisements for low fares inevitably include the word "from..." and the figure that follows is going to get you on board in the lowest category; if you want a better cabin, you'll pay more for the space and location you prefer.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1599 -- 15-Night Hawaiian Islands Cruise w/$250 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $499 & up -- 4-Nt. La Romana All-Incl. Trip w/Air, 40% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $739 & up -- 6-Nt. Vallarta Vacation on Private Beach w/AirApple Vacations
- $2435 & up -- Prague, Vienna & Budapest: 8 Nights w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $299 -- Maui: Oceanfront 4-Star Resort, Save 20%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $267 -- New 4-Star Punta Cana 'Westin' Resort, 30% OffWestin Puntacana Resort & Club