The Grand Canyon of the East
Dying to see the Grand Canyon but don't want to deal with throngs of tourists? There is an option.
The sheer cliffs of the 17-mile gorge in New York's Letchworth State Park soar nearly 600 feet in some spots, creating what many geologists have called the Grand Canyon of the East. The long and narrow park encompasses awesome rock formations and a lush forest that includes many species of eastern North American trees. But the big kahuna here is the Genesee River, which spills over three waterfalls -- one of them 107 feet high -- creating a magical, idyllic atmosphere.
What to do at Letchworth
Hikers can enjoy more than 70 miles of hiking trails. Take in the view from the overlook at the Mount Morris Dam, and make sure to cross the stone footbridge near Lower Falls for a bracing walk in the mist of a waterfall. There are trails for horseback riding and biking, and fascinating rock formations line every trail, allowing scientific types to commune with geological history. You can also swim or fish, go hot-air ballooning, whitewater rafting, or canoeing (by permit).
Where to Stay
The Victorian-era Glen Iris Inn overlooks the Genesee River. Interiors are suitably cozy, and though standard rooms are on the small side, suites are spacious. The Cherry Suite has a whirlpool tub, a private porch with great views of the gorge. The restaurant serves up dishes like baked salmon fillet in port sauce and roast duckling with cherry-brandy glaze. The inn has a Harvest Package, running August 20 through September 13, that includes accommodations, dinner and breakfast for two, taxes and gratuities for $200 per couple per night ($265 for suites).
Letchworth offers tent and trailer sites, campsites, and winterized cabins. Campgrounds are open from mid-May to mid-October and cabins can be rented year round. To reserve a site or cabin, visit: www.nysparks.state.ny.us.
Letchworth State Park is 35 miles southwest of Rochester, off I-390 Exit 7. For more information, call 585-493-3600.
Photo credit: ©Istockphoto/ Scott Slattery; Middle Falls, Genesee River, Letchworth State Park.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays