Statue of Liberty to Reopen on its Birthday
October 28 marks the 126th birthday of the Statue of Liberty, and Lady Liberty is ready to celebrate. On that day, the interior of the monument, which has been closed for one year for renovation, will reopen to the public while final work is being completed. The rest of the renovation is expected to be finished by year's end.
On October 29, 2011, the interior of the statue was closed for a $27.25 million safety and accessibility renovation. Improvements include new up-to-code stairways, fire suppression systems, mechanical and electrical updates, new elevators, and updated restrooms (Hurray!, says anyone who's ever waited in line for admission). According to the National Parks Service, the results will be a more accessible and tourist-friendly Statue. Liberty Island, which sees about 3.5 million visitors every year, according to the NPS, has remained open during construction.
"We have reached a critical milestone in our Fire and Life Safety Project where we can begin to allow visitors back in to the monument on a limited basis while the project moves to completion by the end of the year. We are very excited that Lady Liberty will once again open her doors on her 126th birthday; October 28th," said David Luchsinger, superintendent of Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island in a statement to the press.
Luchsinger indicated more detail will be available as the date draws near, so check Nps.gov/stli, or follow Lady Liberty's Facebook page (Facebook.com/StatueLibrtyNPS) or Twitter feed (Twitter.com/StatueLibrtyNPS).
Photo credit: Statue of Liberty via Shutterstock
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Should make for a nice October Surprise !!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 5 Best Perks of Flying in Premium Economy
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $125 & up -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $739 & up -- 6-Nt. Vallarta Vacation on Private Beach w/AirApple Vacations
- $699 & up -- Cayman Island Vacation Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism
- $1035 & up -- Oahu & Maui 6-Nts. w/Air, Hotels & TransferTripMasters.com
- $270 & up -- Boston Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $239 -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 60%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa