Statue of Liberty to Reopen on its Birthday
October 28 marks the 126th birthday of the Statue of Liberty, and Lady Liberty is ready to celebrate. On that day, the interior of the monument, which has been closed for one year for renovation, will reopen to the public while final work is being completed. The rest of the renovation is expected to be finished by year's end.
On October 29, 2011, the interior of the statue was closed for a $27.25 million safety and accessibility renovation. Improvements include new up-to-code stairways, fire suppression systems, mechanical and electrical updates, new elevators, and updated restrooms (Hurray!, says anyone who's ever waited in line for admission). According to the National Parks Service, the results will be a more accessible and tourist-friendly Statue. Liberty Island, which sees about 3.5 million visitors every year, according to the NPS, has remained open during construction.
"We have reached a critical milestone in our Fire and Life Safety Project where we can begin to allow visitors back in to the monument on a limited basis while the project moves to completion by the end of the year. We are very excited that Lady Liberty will once again open her doors on her 126th birthday; October 28th," said David Luchsinger, superintendent of Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island in a statement to the press.
Luchsinger indicated more detail will be available as the date draws near, so check Nps.gov/stli, or follow Lady Liberty's Facebook page (Facebook.com/StatueLibrtyNPS) or Twitter feed (Twitter.com/StatueLibrtyNPS).
Photo credit: Statue of Liberty via Shutterstock
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Should make for a nice October Surprise !!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- America's Best Wine Bars
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 15 Best Places to Drink Hot Chocolate in America
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways