Statue of Liberty to Reopen on its Birthday
October 28 marks the 126th birthday of the Statue of Liberty, and Lady Liberty is ready to celebrate. On that day, the interior of the monument, which has been closed for one year for renovation, will reopen to the public while final work is being completed. The rest of the renovation is expected to be finished by year's end.
On October 29, 2011, the interior of the statue was closed for a $27.25 million safety and accessibility renovation. Improvements include new up-to-code stairways, fire suppression systems, mechanical and electrical updates, new elevators, and updated restrooms (Hurray!, says anyone who's ever waited in line for admission). According to the National Parks Service, the results will be a more accessible and tourist-friendly Statue. Liberty Island, which sees about 3.5 million visitors every year, according to the NPS, has remained open during construction.
"We have reached a critical milestone in our Fire and Life Safety Project where we can begin to allow visitors back in to the monument on a limited basis while the project moves to completion by the end of the year. We are very excited that Lady Liberty will once again open her doors on her 126th birthday; October 28th," said David Luchsinger, superintendent of Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island in a statement to the press.
Luchsinger indicated more detail will be available as the date draws near, so check Nps.gov/stli, or follow Lady Liberty's Facebook page (Facebook.com/StatueLibrtyNPS) or Twitter feed (Twitter.com/StatueLibrtyNPS).
Photo credit: Statue of Liberty via Shutterstock
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Should make for a nice October Surprise !!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 6 Must-Have French Beauty Products
- 10 Budget-Friendly Getaways for Spring 2015
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- Top 10 Places to Go for Spring 2015
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $110-$135 -- Aspen, CO: 4-Star Resort into Summer, 60% OffWestin Snowmass Resort
- $1550 -- Luxe Israel: 7-Night Tour Package w/5-Star HotelsAmerica Israel Travel
- $3999 -- Japan 10-Night Small Group Escorted Tour w/AirGate 1 Travel
- $129 & up -- Southwest Florida 4-Diamond Resort, Save 60%The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $206 & up -- 4-Star Westin Times Square Hotel, 25% OffThe Westin New York At Times Square
- $752* & up -- Flights to Peru from the U.S. (Roundtrip)LAN