South Place Hotel Opens as London's Hip New Stay
This is the first hotel project from D&D London, which owns and operates glam restaurants around the globe (like Alcazar in Paris and Fish Market, opening in London next week). It's located near the East End, across the street from Finsbury Circus (London's largest garden), with Moorgate and Liverpool stations the closest.
Within each of the 80 rooms are Conran and Partners (they designed London's The Design Museum)-designed luxury bathrooms, original works by London artists, and a high-end Bang & Olufsen television. The rooms' palette is monochromatic (think black, white, silver, and gray) with pops of color like a deep purple accent wall or a canary-yellow chair. Guests can be totally hooked up here with your smartphone, tablet, laptop, and DVD players because recessed in the work desk are multiple sockets and IT and AV connections. As a testament to the hotel's love for promoting artistic expression, it is sponsoring an arts competition (South Place Hotel Art Prize). The winner—a graduate of one of London's art schools—will have his or her work on display within a window on the ground floor.
For food and beverage, the hotel offers two options. Angler (opens on Monday) is a seafood-focused restaurant on the rooftop specializing in procurements from British waters that might include lobster, prawns, clams, or crab. 3 South Place serves "classic British bites" (like an English-cheese plate or 36-hour braised Welsh lamb shoulder in a curry) and cocktails (such as "Equaliser," with Chartreuse, egg white, Absinthe, and lemon) all day up until the wee hours of the morning and its bar emulates a speakeasy setting with DJs as well as drinks and nibbles. Our Garden is an open-air bar with a water feature and high-designed foliage. And don't be shy about peeking into the mini bar in your room; they are thoughtfully stocked with some of England's most beloved treats.
For recreation, head to the hotel's Le Chiffre, which is a game room (with a stone fireplace to cozy up to as well as a record player) that is also home to a gym, spa, sauna, steam room, and wellness center.
Rates start at 185 GBP ($299) per night.
Photos courtesy of Design Hotels, South Place Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Budget-Friendly Getaways for Spring 2015
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 10 Things to Do in Orlando Besides Theme Parks
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 10 Best Caribbean All-Inclusive Resorts for 2015
- Italy: What to Skip, and Where to Go Instead
- $119 -- 4-Star Miami Hotel w/Upgrade, 55% OffProvident Doral at The Blue - Miami
- $106 -- Luxury Aruba Beachfront Resort w/Upgrade & Kids FreeBookIt.com
- $105 -- D.C.: Suite at Georgetown Hotel w/Parking, 50% OffGeorgetown Suites
- $79-$99 -- Orlando Hotel w/Parking & Park Shuttles, 70% OffBookIt.com
- $79 & up -- Waterville Valley, N.H. Hotel Sale up to 40% OffWaterville Valley Resort Association
- $399 & up -- Jamaica: Seven Mile Beach Resort w/AirfareCheapCaribbean.com