South Place Hotel Opens as London's Hip New Stay
This is the first hotel project from D&D London, which owns and operates glam restaurants around the globe (like Alcazar in Paris and Fish Market, opening in London next week). It's located near the East End, across the street from Finsbury Circus (London's largest garden), with Moorgate and Liverpool stations the closest.
Within each of the 80 rooms are Conran and Partners (they designed London's The Design Museum)-designed luxury bathrooms, original works by London artists, and a high-end Bang & Olufsen television. The rooms' palette is monochromatic (think black, white, silver, and gray) with pops of color like a deep purple accent wall or a canary-yellow chair. Guests can be totally hooked up here with your smartphone, tablet, laptop, and DVD players because recessed in the work desk are multiple sockets and IT and AV connections. As a testament to the hotel's love for promoting artistic expression, it is sponsoring an arts competition (South Place Hotel Art Prize). The winner—a graduate of one of London's art schools—will have his or her work on display within a window on the ground floor.
For food and beverage, the hotel offers two options. Angler (opens on Monday) is a seafood-focused restaurant on the rooftop specializing in procurements from British waters that might include lobster, prawns, clams, or crab. 3 South Place serves "classic British bites" (like an English-cheese plate or 36-hour braised Welsh lamb shoulder in a curry) and cocktails (such as "Equaliser," with Chartreuse, egg white, Absinthe, and lemon) all day up until the wee hours of the morning and its bar emulates a speakeasy setting with DJs as well as drinks and nibbles. Our Garden is an open-air bar with a water feature and high-designed foliage. And don't be shy about peeking into the mini bar in your room; they are thoughtfully stocked with some of England's most beloved treats.
For recreation, head to the hotel's Le Chiffre, which is a game room (with a stone fireplace to cozy up to as well as a record player) that is also home to a gym, spa, sauna, steam room, and wellness center.
Rates start at 185 GBP ($299) per night.
Photos courtesy of Design Hotels, South Place Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $279 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, 40% OffThe Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $69* -- Portland to San Jose this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $109* -- Portland to Las Vegas this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $130* & up -- Nationwide Fare Sale on American, R/TAmerican Airlines
- $159 & up -- Norwegian Cruise Sale w/Upgrade & CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $2399 & up -- Luxury European Cruises incl. Free HotelWindstar Cruises