South Africa Welcomes Newest Boutique Hotel
Listen up. South Africa has a new boutique hotel. Located in Sandton, South Africa, the Maslow Hotel opened last week in the former Southern Sun Grayston Hotel, which shuttered in December of 2011 to kick off the top-to-bottom renovations.
While catering to business travelers, there’s a bit of an intellectual-artsy twist at Maslow: the hotel’s name is inspired by psychologist Abraham Maslow, best known for his theory on the hierarchy of needs (translating, in this case, to indulgences). Guests of the 281-room site have access to free high-speed internet, a space called the Incubator designed for creative workshops and activities, and Africology Spa (named for the South Africa-based skincare brand, whose products are folded into treatments like wraps, scrubs, massages, and facials). For travelers struggling to acclimate after a long flight or many hours spent indoors, the spa offers oxygen therapy. In each room is a "media hub" that allows you to listen to your favorite tunes via a docking station or kick back and watch programming on a 40-inch flat-screen television. Each of the 12 meeting rooms is named for a 19th century entrepreneur.
At the Wayfarer Lounge travelers can tap away on their laptops while relaxing in a low-key, monochromatic environment (think charcoal and a milk chocolate hues) and summon a waiter to bring food and drink. Lacuna Bistro & Bar, with views of the pool and garden from most tables, specializes in global tapas and innovative pasta dishes, many of which are prepared using locally grown fruits and vegetables. One of executive chef Dallas Orr’s creations is the Leopard Tiramisu (coffee biscuit, mascarpone, and chocolate). A wine cellar caters to those who love to play around with food and wine pairings with their lunch and dinner. (If wine's not your thing, there are also beer and whiskey menus available.) Breakfast specialties include blueberry pancakes and eggs Benedict.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photos courtesy of Maslow Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $169 -- Downtown Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 25%Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $79 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 50%Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria
- $802* & up -- Europe Summer Fare Sale from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $2999 -- Spain: 7-Night Culinary & Wine Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $199 & up -- Seattle: 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 30%Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $1635 & up -- 9-Nt. London, Paris & Rome Trip w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com