Smarter Travels with Your Laptop: Power Practicalities

Posted by Fodor's Editors on September 27, 2007 at 11:59:50 PM EDT | Post a Comment

You can easily find all three of the following items in electronic stores online and off, as well as in well-stocked travel stores and at some airports. Plug Adaptors: If you're travelling outside of North America, you'll need a plug adaptor to convert your computer's American-style plug into one that fits into the power outlets used in other countries. Power Adaptors: If your computer is fairly new, it's probably capable of handling the power voltages used in other countries. Look at the label on the "brick" -- the box that's part of your computer's power cord -- you should see "Input: 100-240 v AC." If not, you'll need to purchase a power adaptor suitable for the country you're visiting. Most of North America, the Caribbean, and parts of South America and Japan use voltage between 100 and 125, the rest of the world uses 220--240 volts. Surge Protector: Bring along a portable surge protector designed for use in the country you're headed to, especially if you'll be staying outside of major cities or in an area where power is likely to be unreliable. Sudden spikes in power can fatally fry the delicate innards of your laptop.

Posted in Travel Tips

Member Comments (0)

Sign in to leave a comment
Browse More Topics
Top News

No Thanks

Love To Travel?

Get FREE email communications from Fodor's Travel, covering must-see travel destinations, expert trip planning advice, and travel inspiration to fuel your passion.

Thank You

Now sit back, relax, and check your inbox to start planning your next travel adventure.

Please tell us more about the type of travel you're interested in. Check all that apply.