Ultra-Sleek Mainport Hotel Opens in Rotterdam
Earlier this month, Mainport Hotel opened in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, a sleek design consisting of black glass and aluminum, poised to make the skyline in the country's second-largest city even more moderne. It's in perfect pitch with the city's newly built waterfront.
Located in Leuvehaven next to the Maritime Museum and on the banks of the Maas River, the 215-room property harnesses futuristic concepts designed by Feran Thomassen, most evident in the mostly black-and-white furnishings with curved lines, like black bucket seats in the water-level restaurant (Down Under). In addition, floor-to-ceiling glass walls on both sides provide views of the harbor.
At Down Under is a love letter to Sydney, Australia, with foods inspired by that region prepared by chef Sander Jongenotter. Similarly, bar on the Rocks also adopts an Aussie vibe.
With a property-wide focus on wellness, Mainport Hotel also features Spa Heaven on the eighth floor where there is a Finnish sauna, Turkish steam room, Hammam, relaxation room, and two treatment rooms. Within each of the five room categories is an in-room spa concept with a walk-in shower, whirlpool, and anti-fog mirrors. Waterfront Spa and Spa Suite rooms offer a Finnish sauna. A king-size bed, flat-screen television, and Illy espresso machine are also in each room. But what's especially unique is that each floor adopts a different design theme as expressed through patterns and color hues
Owner Karin Geurts says her number-one focus in creating this hotel is to launch a "landing pad" or hub for locals in the city to utilize too.
Rates start at 150 Euros ($207) per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Mainport Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays