SkyTrax Announces 2013 World Airline Awards
For travelers looking to experience the best that airlines have to offer it is, once again, time to look east. SkyTrax released its 2013 World Airline Awards rankings this week and the top 10 programs are heavily skewed towards the Middle East and Asia. Not much of a surprise, really, as only one of the top 10 is different from the prior yearâ€™s ratings, though the order within the top has shifted slightly.
Emirates has taken the top spot in the ratings, jumping up from an 8th place score in 2012. Tim Clark, President Emirates Airline said: "For us, the awards clearly reflect a vote of confidence from global travelers, who acknowledge and appreciate our continuous drive to deliver high-quality service.â€� Qatar Airways slipped from number 1 to number 2 and Singapore Airlines held at 3rd place.
Within North America the top scoring airline was Air Canada which came in at number 20 in the rankings. Virgin America, Delta, JetBlue, and United Airlines were all in the top 60; all but Virgin America improved their ranking versus the prior year. Turkish Airlines took the top prize in Europe with Lufthansa and Swiss joining them in the top 20.
Customers looking for the best in-flight entertainment options would do well to stick with Emirates; the carrier continues to win in that category as they have for many years. If it is cabin service that strikes your fancy flying with Cathay Pacific or Qatar Airways should get you the best in the sky. And for the cleanest cabins look no further than ANA, the Tokyo-based company, which won in the first year this category was judged.
The SkyTrax World Airline Awards awards are based on more than 18 million passenger reviews covering travelers in 160 countries and more than 200 airlines.
Photo credits: World Airline Awards courtesy of SkyTrax; Emirates Air via Dreamstime.com/Gordon Tipene
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- America's Best Wine Bars
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways