SkyTrax Announces 2013 World Airline Awards
For travelers looking to experience the best that airlines have to offer it is, once again, time to look east. SkyTrax released its 2013 World Airline Awards rankings this week and the top 10 programs are heavily skewed towards the Middle East and Asia. Not much of a surprise, really, as only one of the top 10 is different from the prior yearâ€™s ratings, though the order within the top has shifted slightly.
Emirates has taken the top spot in the ratings, jumping up from an 8th place score in 2012. Tim Clark, President Emirates Airline said: "For us, the awards clearly reflect a vote of confidence from global travelers, who acknowledge and appreciate our continuous drive to deliver high-quality service.â€ Qatar Airways slipped from number 1 to number 2 and Singapore Airlines held at 3rd place.
Within North America the top scoring airline was Air Canada which came in at number 20 in the rankings. Virgin America, Delta, JetBlue, and United Airlines were all in the top 60; all but Virgin America improved their ranking versus the prior year. Turkish Airlines took the top prize in Europe with Lufthansa and Swiss joining them in the top 20.
Customers looking for the best in-flight entertainment options would do well to stick with Emirates; the carrier continues to win in that category as they have for many years. If it is cabin service that strikes your fancy flying with Cathay Pacific or Qatar Airways should get you the best in the sky. And for the cleanest cabins look no further than ANA, the Tokyo-based company, which won in the first year this category was judged.
The SkyTrax World Airline Awards awards are based on more than 18 million passenger reviews covering travelers in 160 countries and more than 200 airlines.
Photo credits: World Airline Awards courtesy of SkyTrax; Emirates Air via Dreamstime.com/Gordon Tipene
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2105 & up -- Sydney, Melbourne & Auckland 9 Nights w/AirTripMasters.com
- $721* & up -- Europe Fall Fares from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $1647 & up -- Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong 9-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $101 & up -- Puerto Vallarta All-Incl. Beach Resort, 50% OffHotel Riu Palace Pacifico
- $1275 & up -- Rome, Florence & Venice 7 Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $649 & up -- Los Cabos: All-Incl. Beach Getaway w/Spa CreditCheapCaribbean.com