Segera Camp Now Open in Kenya
Late last month, Kenya welcomed a new luxury safari: Segera Camp, from the Wilderness Collection. Other properties are in Botswana (Abu Camp), Seychelles (North Island), and the Republic of the Congo (Odzala).
Aimed at travelers who don't want to give up the pampering—but also want to conserve the terrain they are trekking—this camp in Kenya's Laikipia region runs on solar energy. Guests bunk in six thatched-roofed villas outfitted with African artwork and featuring a Jacuzzi bath just outside the hut and sunk into a private wooden-platform deck. The Zeitz Sculpture Garden is nearby too, stocked with exquisite installations from across Africa and its diaspora.
On the property are stables, a bar, and a library with local art hung on its walls, along with big-ticket amenities like a spa, gym, and pool. Meals can be taken outside whether on a deck, in a sun lounger or protected from the sun under a gazebo.
Rates at Segera Camp begin at $800 (based on single occupancy).
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays