Segera Camp Now Open in Kenya
Late last month, Kenya welcomed a new luxury safari: Segera Camp, from the Wilderness Collection. Other properties are in Botswana (Abu Camp), Seychelles (North Island), and the Republic of the Congo (Odzala).
Aimed at travelers who don't want to give up the pampering—but also want to conserve the terrain they are trekking—this camp in Kenya's Laikipia region runs on solar energy. Guests bunk in six thatched-roofed villas outfitted with African artwork and featuring a Jacuzzi bath just outside the hut and sunk into a private wooden-platform deck. The Zeitz Sculpture Garden is nearby too, stocked with exquisite installations from across Africa and its diaspora.
On the property are stables, a bar, and a library with local art hung on its walls, along with big-ticket amenities like a spa, gym, and pool. Meals can be taken outside whether on a deck, in a sun lounger or protected from the sun under a gazebo.
Rates at Segera Camp begin at $800 (based on single occupancy).
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $188* -- Coast-to-Coast Fares into October, One WayVirgin America
- $57 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Suite w/Daily BreakfastPalace Resort
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1175 & up -- Paris & Barcelona 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $2009 -- Sydney & Brisbane 6-Night Vacation w/Air, $325 OffDelta Vacations
- $125 -- San Juan 4-Diamond Hotel, 45% OffSheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino