The Ritz Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal Unveiled
Flaunting a design that's inspired by Venice, Italy's canals, The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal opened earlier this month in Abu Dhabi, bringing even more glam to the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
Guests at the 447-room hotel can expect lots of pampering in the form of a 21,500-square-foot spa, a staggering 10 restaurants; poolside bars, a private beach, and landscaped gardens.
All rooms boast views of the pool, Grand Canal, or gardens; feature marble baths alongside separate showers and double vanities; and Ritz-Carlton signature linens and featherbeds. On top of the 447 rooms are 85 one- and two-bedroom villas that tout even more luxury, like outdoor terraces tucked under African-teak timber pergolas. The resort's overall design, on 57 acres, was built to resemble 15th through 17th Century Renaissance architecture as seen in Italy.
Super Potato, an interior-design firm, designed three of the restaurants: Giornotte, all-day Mediterranean dining with an outdoor terrace; The Forge, serving steak and seafood; Mjiana, specializing in Lebanese cuisine; and Li Jiang, focused on Asian dishes. Al Fresco is an eatery near the pool and beach. There are also two pool bars; Alba, for afternoon tea in the lobby; Dolce, designed for espresso drinks and housemade ice creams; and Sorso, perfect for pre-dinner drinks and innovative small plates.
At the spa, which debuts in early 2014, 15 treatment rooms, a private beach, and outdoor plunge pools will ensure guests relax in style. There is also a 17,000-square-foot swimming pool and two jogging tracks on the grounds. The 24-hour fitness center—open now—has floor-to-ceiling windows, bringing natural light in. Group exercise classes are offered in addition to access to work-out equipment.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Ritz Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $75 & up -- Ocean View Room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffThe Caribbean Resort & Villas
- $779 & up -- Mexico: All-Incl. 4-Star Dreams Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $1299 -- Italy: 7-Nt. Tuscany Castle Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $98 & up -- Seattle Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $118 & up -- Chicago Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $419 & up -- Bahamas 7-Nt. Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line