Required Reads: Caribbean
If you’re about to spend a few days on the sand, what do you really need to pack? Not much more than a solid beach bag and a book to throw inside. Here are our top island-themed picks for the Caribbean-bound book hound.
Islands in the Stream
The curt language of Hemingway's work is not an indication of how prolific he was. In this final novel, published nine years after his death, he reflects on fictional adventurer Thomas Hudson's life and travels in Bimini and Havana—and reveals a rare bit of humor.
Water and Light: A Diver's Journey to a Coral Reef
If you're more of a lounge-chair-fruity-drink type, you can live vicariously through Stephen Harrigan's first-hand account of diving off Grand Turk Island. The descriptive detail will make you feel like you're exploring the coral reefs yourself.
The White Woman on the Green Bicycle
How about a love story? British newlyweds the Harwoods arrive in Trinidad and spend 50 years embedding themselves into the local culture, with the help of Sabine's green bicycle. Full of romantic ups and downs, Green Bicycle will keep you engrossed through several beach sessions.
The Rum Diary
Hunter S. Thompson
For a chance to really be swept up, take on Thompson's classic ode to alcohol and utter madness, set in 1950s San Juan. Prepare to be shocked (and to head home wanting to rent the 2011 film adaptation starring Johnny Depp).
Mountains beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World
Pulitzer Prize winner Kidder tells the story of Paul Farmer, infectious-disease specialist and do-gooder, as he travels from Harvard to Haiti, Peru, Cuba, and Russia. The Haitian proverb "Beyond mountains there are mountains" serves as backbone—and title—for the fascinating narrative of Farmer's quest to inspire and serve universally.
Photo credits: Islands in the Stream courtesy of Simon and Schuster, Havana via Shutterstock; Water and Light: A Diver's Journey to a Coral Reef courtesy of University of Texas Press, Grand Turk Island via Shutterstock; The White Woman on the Green Bicycle courtesy of Penguin Group, Trinidad via Shutterstock; The Rum Diary courtesy of Simon and Schuster, San Juan via Shutterstock; Mountains beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World courtesy of Random House, Haiti via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $389 & up -- 5-Night Cruises to Canada & New EnglandCarnival Cruise Lines
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Fall Fares into November, One WayVirgin America
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, 40% OffThe Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $1527 & up -- Ireland in Fall: 8-Nt. Vacation w/Car from LAGreat Value Vacations
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $699 & up -- Cayman Island Vacation Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism