Read Before You Go: African Safari
Setting off on safari means prepping for adventure, beauty, and the unexpected. Pick a read that fits your trip, from tales of African history to fictional stories of love and intrigue.
Half of a Yellow Sun
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
This haunting novel set in Nigeria in the 1960s blends rich historical detail with masterful narrative, leaving you with a read you'll look forward to at the end of a long safari day. The intertwined stories of the three main characters won't leave you when you get home.
Tony Fitzjohn, OBE
Fitzjohn's memoir is much more than a story about one man's addiction to adventure. His lifelong fight to protect African wildlife is chronicled alongside introspections about global citizenship, all in the wild man's signature storytelling style.
The first in Steven's series, set in part in central Africa, will introduce you to protagonist Vanessa "Michael" Munroe, an information dealer hired to find an oil billionaire's missing daughter. The Informationist is the perfect choice for the mystery lover heading out on safari. Bonus: For those who read on in the series, the third novel was just optioned for a film by James Cameron.
Running with the Kenyans
Coming out in paperback in April, Finn's story of the elite training camps of Kenya will inspire even the most devout non-runner. If you're planning ahead for your big trip, watch for this to hit bookshelves—this look at Kenyan culture through the lens of the experience of running will give you a whole new way to explore the area.
In the House of the Interpreter
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
This Kenyan expat, now a California resident, is a prolific writer and political activist. His two-part memoir, just released late last year, will enthrall fans and introduce unfamiliar readers to the iconic African writer.
Photo credits: Book covers courtesy of Random House; All other photos via Shutterstock
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Out of Africa Wildlife Park is one of Arizona's best wildlife theme parks
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1379 & up -- Rome, Florence & Venice 7-Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $1299 & up -- Tuscany & Rome Weeklong Villa Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $349 & up -- 4-Star Beachfront Bahamas Escape w/Air, 65% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1726 & up -- Hong Kong, Bangkok & Phuket 9 Nts. w/AirTripMasters.com
- $912* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways