Read Before You Go: African Safari
Setting off on safari means prepping for adventure, beauty, and the unexpected. Pick a read that fits your trip, from tales of African history to fictional stories of love and intrigue.
Half of a Yellow Sun
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
This haunting novel set in Nigeria in the 1960s blends rich historical detail with masterful narrative, leaving you with a read you'll look forward to at the end of a long safari day. The intertwined stories of the three main characters won't leave you when you get home.
Tony Fitzjohn, OBE
Fitzjohn's memoir is much more than a story about one man's addiction to adventure. His lifelong fight to protect African wildlife is chronicled alongside introspections about global citizenship, all in the wild man's signature storytelling style.
The first in Steven's series, set in part in central Africa, will introduce you to protagonist Vanessa "Michael" Munroe, an information dealer hired to find an oil billionaire's missing daughter. The Informationist is the perfect choice for the mystery lover heading out on safari. Bonus: For those who read on in the series, the third novel was just optioned for a film by James Cameron.
Running with the Kenyans
Coming out in paperback in April, Finn's story of the elite training camps of Kenya will inspire even the most devout non-runner. If you're planning ahead for your big trip, watch for this to hit bookshelves—this look at Kenyan culture through the lens of the experience of running will give you a whole new way to explore the area.
In the House of the Interpreter
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
This Kenyan expat, now a California resident, is a prolific writer and political activist. His two-part memoir, just released late last year, will enthrall fans and introduce unfamiliar readers to the iconic African writer.
Photo credits: Book covers courtesy of Random House; All other photos via Shutterstock
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Out of Africa Wildlife Park is one of Arizona's best wildlife theme parks
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- $1381* & up -- Fly to Australia from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $239 & up -- Mediterranean Cruises incl. Italy & SpainNorwegian Cruise Line
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Fares on Award-Winning Airline, O/WVirgin America
- $1999 -- China: Last Minute Luxe Yangtze River Cruise w/AirSinorama Holidays
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $869 & up -- Punta Cana: 4.5-Star All-Incl. Vacation w/AirApple Vacations