Radisson Hotels Make Major Renovations Across US
Remember the Radisson hotels of the 1990s? Well, we can at last say adios to the cookie-cutter look the brand used to embrace. Upscale, comtemporary décor now defines Radisson Hotels properties, with a unique spin on each, so that what's beyond the front door of a Radisson in Scranton, Pennsylvania, does not mirror their hotel in San Francisco.
According to Radisson Hotels, 75 percent of its brand-wide renovations—for 140 hotels across North America—will wrap up by year's end. A total refresh of each property includes a nod to the local surroundings through architecture and a color palette (for example, splashes of sage green in the rooms at Radisson Hotel & Suites Fallsview in Ontario, Canada, remind of nearby Niagara Falls; or a custom wall vinyl in each room at Radisson Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco calling even greater attention to stellar views of Golden Gate Bridge from the hotel.
Based on the types of customers typically served at each Radisson, the dining concept and room design caters to its demographic. The restaurant at Radisson Hotel Corning, in Corning, NY, features bright lights and the rooms flaunt jewel-tone colors, all in reference to glassware made at Corning Incorporated just up the road. At Radisson Hotel Fargo, its designers looked to the nearby downtown, which is currently experiencing something of a renaissance, to come up with a scheme that fits right in. Hip public spaces and a second-floor lounge and restaurant connected to an atrium create yet another spot for locals to hang out.
By 2015, it's expected that the renovations will have extended to all of Radisson Hotels' properties in North America.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Radisson Hotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $449 & up -- Bermuda Weeklong Cruises w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1049 & up -- Jamaica: All-Incl. 'Kids Stay Free' Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $231 & up -- Upscale All-Incl. Cancun Resort w/Flight CreditBookIt.com
- $1487* & up -- Australia Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxVirgin Australia
- $199 -- St. Maarten 4-Star Beach Resort, Save 40%Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
- $224 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel, 50% OffThe Westin Copley Place, Boston