What to Pack for Any Summer Trip

July 02, 2013 5:07 pm(8 comments) Post a comment

Prev 1 of 10 Next
Perfect Summer Road Trip

Photo Credit: Collage by Fodor's

<p>When it comes to affordable vacation fun, nothing quite beats a carefree road trip. So pull out that map (or, ya know, Google Maps) and plot your route. And <a href="http://www.fodors.com/news/what-to-pack-summer-road-trip-edition-6841.html">what's packed up in the trunk</a>? If you ask us, it's a sleeveless chambray top for daytime drives and sleek knit dresses for evenings out on the town. </p>

Member Comments (8) Post a Comment

• 1Australian45 on Jul 07, 2013 at 04:20 AM

I don’t agree with the comments made about these clothes. Of course the shoes are horrendous but the white pants and the summery dresses are lovely for a summer day. I am a senior and would happily wear the pants or maybe one of the dresses. I have a wardrobe full of boring travel clothes and I think that they make one stand out like a sore thumb with the label “tourist” written all over them wear everyday easy care clothes and it doesn’t hurt to be in fashion either! Hopefully the tourists won’t be wearing “### bags” around their waists and heavy cameras over their shoulders.

• marishkka on Jul 06, 2013 at 05:19 PM

Like most fashion articles, the clothes are meant to inspire us to try something fun and new.  While I too, would not wear most of what I see, I can appreciate the seasonal colors and styles and add something interesting to what I already have!

• ChickPea on Jul 06, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I have to agree with the previous posters, these clothes and shoes are not appropriate and very age specific.The only ill dress tourists I saw were American..sorry to say.

• hollywoodsc on Jul 06, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I’d love to see someone try and stagger across the cobblestones in many European cities in those ridiculous shoes!

• JCBD on Jul 06, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Concur with first 2 comments. As a very active senior, I could fit in the clothes recommended. However, I would not be caught dead in them. If the traveler is going abroad, your recommendations add to the “ugly American” perception. Classic, quality, conservative, long-lasting clothes are best for travelers of any age or size. Fodor’s should be embarrassed.

• Geneva on Jul 06, 2013 at 10:55 AM

At first I agreed with the first two comments but then I realized that I could review the types of clothing you suggest and tie that to my own traveling wardrobe.  A checklist, so to speak.  So thanks!  I see I’m on the right track!  Yay!

• NSWEXEC on Jul 06, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Please consider that not everyone is in their twenties and a size nothing.  How about some realistic ideas for the people who can actually afford to travel and are not model size?

• lilytravels on Jul 06, 2013 at 09:58 AM

Are 20 -30 somethings the only people traveling these days.  Am I to presume that the older groups are experienced and know what to pack?  If you do these articles, please cover all age groups. I hope that all people would like to look appropriate for the location.