What to Pack for Any Summer Trip

July 02, 2013 5:07 pm(8 comments) Post a comment

Prev 1 of 10 Next
Perfect Summer Road Trip

Photo Credit: Collage by Fodor's

<p>When it comes to affordable vacation fun, nothing quite beats a carefree road trip. So pull out that map (or, ya know, Google Maps) and plot your route. And <a href="http://www.fodors.com/news/what-to-pack-summer-road-trip-edition-6841.html">what's packed up in the trunk</a>? If you ask us, it's a sleeveless chambray top for daytime drives and sleek knit dresses for evenings out on the town. </p>

Member Comments (8) Post a Comment

• 1Australian45 on Jul 07, 2013 at 04:20 AM

I don’t agree with the comments made about these clothes. Of course the shoes are horrendous but the white pants and the summery dresses are lovely for a summer day. I am a senior and would happily wear the pants or maybe one of the dresses. I have a wardrobe full of boring travel clothes and I think that they make one stand out like a sore thumb with the label “tourist” written all over them wear everyday easy care clothes and it doesn’t hurt to be in fashion either! Hopefully the tourists won’t be wearing “bum bags” around their waists and heavy cameras over their shoulders.

• marishkka on Jul 06, 2013 at 05:19 PM

Like most fashion articles, the clothes are meant to inspire us to try something fun and new.  While I too, would not wear most of what I see, I can appreciate the seasonal colors and styles and add something interesting to what I already have!

• ChickPea on Jul 06, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I have to agree with the previous posters, these clothes and shoes are not appropriate and very age specific.The only ill dress tourists I saw were American..sorry to say.

• hollywoodsc on Jul 06, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I’d love to see someone try and stagger across the cobblestones in many European cities in those ridiculous shoes!

• JCBD on Jul 06, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Concur with first 2 comments. As a very active senior, I could fit in the clothes recommended. However, I would not be caught dead in them. If the traveler is going abroad, your recommendations add to the “ugly American” perception. Classic, quality, conservative, long-lasting clothes are best for travelers of any age or size. Fodor’s should be embarrassed.

• Geneva on Jul 06, 2013 at 10:55 AM

At first I agreed with the first two comments but then I realized that I could review the types of clothing you suggest and tie that to my own traveling wardrobe.  A checklist, so to speak.  So thanks!  I see I’m on the right track!  Yay!

• NSWEXEC on Jul 06, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Please consider that not everyone is in their twenties and a size nothing.  How about some realistic ideas for the people who can actually afford to travel and are not model size?

• lilytravels on Jul 06, 2013 at 09:58 AM

Are 20 -30 somethings the only people traveling these days.  Am I to presume that the older groups are experienced and know what to pack?  If you do these articles, please cover all age groups. I hope that all people would like to look appropriate for the location.