21 Places We're Going in 2011

January 03, 2011 12:41 pm(28 comments) Post a comment

Prev 1 of 22 Next
Asheville: Sample Arty Appalachian Culture

Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Asheville Convention & Visitors Bureau (ExploreAsheville.com)

<p><strong>Why Go Now:</strong> Get a taste of Asheville while it still feels local and before it goes global. On the edge of the alluring Smoky Mountains, the food and drink scene of the recently dubbed "Beer City USA" is the perfect compliment to the scenery. You'll find over 30 galleries and 20 music venues devoted to everything from folk pieces to modern mash-ups.</p> <p><strong>Where to Stay:</strong> The <a href="http://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/north-carolina/the-north-carolina-mountains/review-144343.html">Inn on Biltmore Estate</a>, a gilded-age resort set on an 8,000-acre Vanderbilt estate, even tempts day trippers to stay overnight. For something more modern (and compact), the <a href="http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/in/1/en/hotel/avlin"> Hotel Indigo</a> opened a 100-room boutique property downtown just over a year ago. With a colorful interior and artsy details, it's also within walking distance of the new Pack Square Park.</p> <p><strong>Insider Tip:</strong> Check out <a href="http://livewireasheville.com/"> Live Wire</a> before you go to plan your nightly entertainment. </p> <p><strong>When to Go:</strong> Late September to early November for fall foliage.</p>

Member Comments (15) Post a Comment

• marriottresaleseu on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Thank You For The Information !!!

<a href=“http://www.marriottresaleseurope.com/marbella-beach-2/”>marriott vacation club marbella</a>

• photopete on Feb 09, 2012 at 08:15 PM

Except it is NOT the driest desert in the world, Antarctica is (been there done that, South Pole too).

• JoyceP on Aug 01, 2011 at 01:23 AM

Be fast and plan be here on sept 2-3, 2011, so you can enjoy the 2nd Curacao North Sea Jazz Festival. This is one enormous happening:
    “The first-class jazz and blues concert series will also incorporate soul, rock and Latin music this year with performers including Dionne Warwick, Earth, Wind & Fire, Ruben Blades, Roberto Fonseca, Juan Luis Guerra, Terence Blanchard, Chic featuring Nile Rodgers, Poncho Sanchez, Danilo Perez Trio, Levi Silvanie, Chucho Valdes Afro Cuban & Messengers and Ronchi Matthew.”
    More info: http://www.curacaonorthseajazz.com

• DRPV3 on Feb 08, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I’ve lived in Asheville for thirty years and if you get bored here it won’t be Asheville’s fault. If you like to walk, run, ride a bike, eat, drink great beer, or dance then Asheville will not disappoint. If you like to sit in a deck chair and have drinks with little umbrellas then you might not be the Asheville type. Even in winter the woods are beautiful, you just need to look a little closer.

• Alice_Young on Jan 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM

If you go to Asheville you really need to bring your pet and stay at Barkwells. Visit it at http://www.barkwells.com it is the most pet friendly place you will ever visit. We have gone 3 years in a row and are planning a 4th.  This is the most beautiful area in the state. Very close to the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

• Alan_Kellam on Jan 30, 2011 at 09:19 AM

Such a great place, we moved here. Lots of retirees or people getting there.  North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement is world reknown.  I write the Real Estate Column for the Asheville Citizen Times. Write for my free 50 page report on Asheville real estate sales. http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011301300029 Email.: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

• smallaxe11 on Jan 30, 2011 at 01:06 AM

Asheville has charm, but keep some things in mind when planning a visit.

Go in summer or fall, as I went in wintertime when many locals split from town and also the hillsides are barren. The mountains are not that spectacular in and of themselves, but appear to inherit their beautiful once the dense foliage opens up. I can especially see how fall would be amazing.

Explore early, because many shops in town close by 6:00.

Go on a weekend. My first night there, I went to a highly recommended local brewery and when I walked in, the bartender said, “Sorry, we’re closed.” It was 10:15. Drove around and stopped in a place or two, but not much was else happening.

It can feel really sleepy, but there are hidden gems, that when unearthed make it worthwhile.

There isn’t enough going on in the town itself to keep a tourist occupied for more than two full days. But you’ll want to stay longer for day trips to the Smoky’s and the some of the rivers and waterfalls within an hours drive.

• Brian_Fraga on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I am a REALTOR in Asheville and I can completely understand why people would want to come here. Having only been here for four years myself, I am still awed by the beauty that I see during my daily activities. My occupation has allowed me to see the most sought after locations in the Asheville area and I have been nothing less than impressed. The idea that young people are bored here is not alarming to me. There will be a day when these young Ashevillians yearn to come back to this place that they thought was boring. This is an incredible place for the arts, outdoor activity, golf, music, alternative medicine and anything else that could make a city great.

• Madelyn_L on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Maegan? What planet are you living on? You clearly do not go out much. There is ALWAYS something to do in Asheville. I’m sorry you have yet to notice that. Your loss. =[

• GHLPHOTOGRAPHY on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I live in Asheville too and I can see how it made the list and should be at the top! Being a photographer and traveling all over the world, this has to be one of the best area’s in the world to visit, travel to and take plenty of pictures! Young and old, the area offers a variety of entertainment and things to do. If George Vanderbilt could have lived anywhere in the world and chose Asheville to build the largest home in the United States, than it must be a special place. I love to travel but Asheville is my home and I always enjoy returning to it even if I am away for just one day!

• maeganf0531 on Jan 28, 2011 at 04:32 PM

Asheville is #1 according to our local newspaper. I live in Asheville, and cant figure how it possibly made this list. It’s boring and there’s not much here if your young. good place to retire, that’s about it.

• Cate_W on Jan 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Hi Jaded24fan, these are in no particular order - though I do hope to get to Asheville soon!

And SydTraveller1 - trust us that it was a very hard decision to limit this list. There were a number of places we considered that didn’t make the final cut, from Macau (the next Vegas?) to U.S. South in general (Civil War Sesquicentennial starts this year).  Where are you headed in 2011?

• on Jan 28, 2011 at 01:48 AM

So Asheville is #1 or just the first one listed?

• SydTraveller1 on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Nice list!I’m sure we can do more than just Tokyo though in places in Asia/ Pacific!

• on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Great article; these are just some of the many reasons we chose Asheville as home base!
    Steven