21 Places We're Going in 2011

January 3, 2011 at 12:41:12 PM EST | Post a Comment

Is your passport current? Are your fare alerts set? Our editors are ready to explore the globe, from emerging destinations to hot cities to trendy beaches. With all the noteworthy events, sights, and hotels making headlines these days, coming up with a shortlist was no easy feat. There’s sure to be somewhere for everyone on our list of top places to go in 2011, whether you’re looking for arts, food, relaxation, or off-the-beaten-path adventure. One thing is clear: All the buzzworthy travel news is a sure sign the market is rebounding. Of course, our Fodorites never stopped traveling. <em>By Arabella Bowen and Cate Starmer</em>

marriottresaleseu on February 28, 2013 at 10:21:00 PM EST

Thank You For The Information !!! <a href="http://www.marriottresaleseurope.com/marbella-beach-2/">marriott vacation club marbella</a>

photopete on February 9, 2012 at 8:15:36 PM EST

Except it is NOT the driest desert in the world, Antarctica is (been there done that, South Pole too).

JoyceP on August 1, 2011 at 1:23:50 AM EDT

Be fast and plan be here on sept 2-3, 2011, so you can enjoy the 2nd Curacao North Sea Jazz Festival. This is one enormous happening: "The first-class jazz and blues concert series will also incorporate soul, rock and Latin music this year with performers including Dionne Warwick, Earth, Wind & Fire, Ruben Blades, Roberto Fonseca, Juan Luis Guerra, Terence Blanchard, Chic featuring Nile Rodgers, Poncho Sanchez, Danilo Perez Trio, Levi Silvanie, Chucho Valdes Afro Cuban & Messengers and Ronchi Matthew." More info: www.curacaonorthseajazz.com

DRPV3 on February 8, 2011 at 11:13:19 AM EST

I've lived in Asheville for thirty years and if you get bored here it won't be Asheville's fault. If you like to walk, run, ride a bike, eat, drink great beer, or dance then Asheville will not disappoint. If you like to sit in a deck chair and have drinks with little umbrellas then you might not be the Asheville type. Even in winter the woods are beautiful, you just need to look a little closer.

Alice_Young on January 30, 2011 at 11:11:33 AM EST

If you go to Asheville you really need to bring your pet and stay at Barkwells. Visit it at www.barkwells.com it is the most pet friendly place you will ever visit. We have gone 3 years in a row and are planning a 4th. This is the most beautiful area in the state. Very close to the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

Alan_Kellam on January 30, 2011 at 9:19:01 AM EST

Such a great place, we moved here. Lots of retirees or people getting there. North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement is world reknown. I write the Real Estate Column for the Asheville Citizen Times. Write for my free 50 page report on Asheville real estate sales. http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011301300029. Email: akellam@c21allseasons.com.

smallaxe11 on January 30, 2011 at 1:06:54 AM EST

Asheville has charm, but keep some things in mind when planning a visit. Go in summer or fall, as I went in wintertime when many locals split from town and also the hillsides are barren. The mountains are not that spectacular in and of themselves, but appear to inherit their beautiful once the dense foliage opens up. I can especially see how fall would be amazing. Explore early, because many shops in town close by 6:00. Go on a weekend. My first night there, I went to a highly recommended local brewery and when I walked in, the bartender said, "Sorry, we're closed." It was 10:15. Drove around and stopped in a place or two, but not much was else happening. It can feel really sleepy, but there are hidden gems, that when unearthed make it worthwhile. There isn't enough going on in the town itself to keep a tourist occupied for more than two full days. But you'll want to stay longer for day trips to the Smoky's and the some of the rivers and waterfalls within an hours drive.

Brian_Fraga on January 28, 2011 at 11:45:14 PM EST

I am a REALTOR in Asheville and I can completely understand why people would want to come here. Having only been here for four years myself, I am still awed by the beauty that I see during my daily activities. My occupation has allowed me to see the most sought after locations in the Asheville area and I have been nothing less than impressed. The idea that young people are bored here is not alarming to me. There will be a day when these young Ashevillians yearn to come back to this place that they thought was boring. This is an incredible place for the arts, outdoor activity, golf, music, alternative medicine and anything else that could make a city great.

Madelyn_L on January 28, 2011 at 11:35:09 PM EST

Maegan? What planet are you living on? You clearly do not go out much. There is ALWAYS something to do in Asheville. I'm sorry you have yet to notice that. Your loss. =[

GHLPHOTOGRAPHY on January 28, 2011 at 11:16:47 PM EST

I live in Asheville too and I can see how it made the list and should be at the top! Being a photographer and traveling all over the world, this has to be one of the best area's in the world to visit, travel to and take plenty of pictures! Young and old, the area offers a variety of entertainment and things to do. If George Vanderbilt could have lived anywhere in the world and chose Asheville to build the largest home in the United States, than it must be a special place. I love to travel but Asheville is my home and I always enjoy returning to it even if I am away for just one day!

maeganf0531 on January 28, 2011 at 4:32:58 PM EST

Asheville is #1 according to our local newspaper. I live in Asheville, and cant figure how it possibly made this list. It's boring and there's not much here if your young. good place to retire, that's about it.

Cate_W on January 28, 2011 at 10:06:45 AM EST

Hi Jaded24fan, these are in no particular order - though I do hope to get to Asheville soon! And SydTraveller1 - trust us that it was a very hard decision to limit this list. There were a number of places we considered that didn't make the final cut, from Macau (the next Vegas?) to U.S. South in general (Civil War Sesquicentennial starts this year). Where are you headed in 2011?

on January 28, 2011 at 1:48:46 AM EST

So Asheville is #1 or just the first one listed?

SydTraveller1 on January 27, 2011 at 11:48:06 PM EST

Nice list!I'm sure we can do more than just Tokyo though in places in Asia/ Pacific!

on January 27, 2011 at 10:19:50 AM EST

Great article; these are just some of the many reasons we chose Asheville as home base! Steven www.magiclight-tours.com

Love To Travel?

Get FREE email communications from Fodor's Travel, covering must-see travel destinations, expert trip planning advice, and travel inspiration to fuel your passion.

Now sit back, relax, and check your inbox to start planning your next travel adventure.

Please tell us more about the type of travel you're interested in. Check all that apply.