15 UNESCO Sites to See While You Can

August 8, 2013 at 4:39:00 PM EDT | Post a Comment

<p>UNESCO’s List of World Heritage in Danger consists of 44 sites that face urgent threats to their integrity as spots of &quot;outstanding universal value,&quot; ranging from environmental degradation to urbanization, overpopulation, and excessive development. These sites are not off-limits to tourists, though. In fact, for some dedicated travelers, there’s no better time to glimpse these historical world wonders before they change&mdash;or disappear&mdash;forever. Here are 15 of the sites you must see before it’s too late.</p> <br> <p><em>By Maggie Gorman</em></p>

blogadmin on September 9, 2013 at 5:54:20 PM EDT

Thank you for your comments. We heard and share your concerns, and have added more accessible travel experiences to our list. We hope this story inspires you to visit some of the world's threatened treasures. - The Blog Team

Hannah_reads_for_fun on August 20, 2013 at 5:51:22 AM EDT

I see that you basically copied the descriptions from the UNESCO site, but that is no excuse for the errors contained within. It seems that you forgot to label the Jerusalem photo properly-- the fact that Jerusalem is located in (and is the capital of) Israel has been omitted from your description. Additionally, the Western Wall does not "delineate the various religious communities"-- it marks the western remnant of the Jewish Temple, destroyed by the Romans nearly 2000 years go, and is considered Judaism's holiest site.

misesq on August 19, 2013 at 5:29:38 PM EDT

Timbuktu was damaged extensively during last years war. aleppo was destroyed during the civil war.

misesq on August 19, 2013 at 5:27:15 PM EDT

Timbuktu was damaged extensively during last years war

thursdaysd on August 17, 2013 at 6:03:30 PM EDT

It certainly works better now the photos match the text, however, I have to agree with redcheetah that it would be better to feature places it is actually safe to visit. I, too, am glad that I visited Syria before the current wave of destruction. I would appreciate an update on the current state of Krak des Chevaliers. Also, couldn't you find a better photo from Aleppo (I'll even lend you one of mine...)

arlhewitt on August 17, 2013 at 3:53:16 PM EDT

I did not find the listing of the Unesco Sites

yestravel on August 17, 2013 at 12:12:47 PM EDT

Go to Syria now? I don't think so.

bilboburgler on August 17, 2013 at 11:35:57 AM EDT

I've just read up your comments on Bosra and I suspect whoever wrote it for you has never been as I cannot recognise it from your description

bilboburgler on August 17, 2013 at 11:33:37 AM EDT

So, I come to two conclusions, one that since these places are under pressure we should put them under more pressure "before they go" hardly a good idea??? Then Aleppo and Palmyria are just about ruined due to the warfare going on. If you are so stupid as to try and go and see them right now then you will have an experience! I think Krac de Chevalier is struggling from shelling while I think the Bosra (theatre/fortress) will be in some terrible shape now (still it survived 2000 years of battle so maybe it will be ok)

redcheetah on August 17, 2013 at 10:23:00 AM EDT

4 of your 15 sites are in Syria. Fortunately for me I have been there - but I would not recommend going there now! Find places we can actually see at the moment.

redcheetah on August 17, 2013 at 10:21:52 AM EDT

nankie on August 17, 2013 at 10:12:40 AM EDT

please put on one page. so annoying to have to click through.

thursdaysd on August 17, 2013 at 9:45:15 AM EDT

Do you think you might manage to get the photos to match the text?

Love To Travel?

Get FREE email communications from Fodor's Travel, covering must-see travel destinations, expert trip planning advice, and travel inspiration to fuel your passion.

Now sit back, relax, and check your inbox to start planning your next travel adventure.

Please tell us more about the type of travel you're interested in. Check all that apply.