15 UNESCO Sites to See While You Can

August 08, 2013 4:39 pm(13 comments) Post a comment

Prev 1 of 17 Next
Timbuktu, Mali, Africa

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Michele Alfieri/Shutterstock

<p>In the 15th and 16th centuries, Timbuktu was a hub of Islamic propagation in <a href="http://www.fodors.com/world/africa-and-middle-east/">Africa</a> and a heart of intellectual and spiritual richness. Its three great mosques, Djingareyber, Sankore, and Sidi Yahia herald the golden age of the city, but now face being lost completely to desertification and changes in the architecture and vestiges of the old city. Though they're constantly restored, it's worth a trip to see these important monuments while they're still considerably dominant in their environment. </p>

Member Comments (13) Post a Comment

• blogadmin on Sep 09, 2013 at 05:54 PM

Thank you for your comments. We heard and share your concerns, and have added more accessible travel experiences to our list. We hope this story inspires you to visit some of the world’s threatened treasures. - The Blog Team

• Hannah_reads_for_fun on Aug 20, 2013 at 05:51 AM

I see that you basically copied the descriptions from the UNESCO site, but that is no excuse for the errors contained within. It seems that you forgot to label the Jerusalem photo properly—the fact that Jerusalem is located in (and is the capital of) Israel has been omitted from your description. Additionally, the Western Wall does not “delineate the various religious communities”—it marks the western remnant of the Jewish Temple, destroyed by the Romans nearly 2000 years go, and is considered Judaism’s holiest site.

• misesq on Aug 19, 2013 at 05:29 PM

Timbuktu was damaged extensively during last years war.
    aleppo was destroyed during the civil war.

• misesq on Aug 19, 2013 at 05:27 PM

Timbuktu was damaged extensively during last years war

• thursdaysd on Aug 17, 2013 at 06:03 PM

It certainly works better now the photos match the text, however, I have to agree with redcheetah that it would be better to feature places it is actually safe to visit. I, too, am glad that I visited Syria before the current wave of destruction. I would appreciate an update on the current state of Krak des Chevaliers. Also, couldn’t you find a better photo from Aleppo (I’ll even lend you one of mine…)

• arlhewitt on Aug 17, 2013 at 03:53 PM

I did not find the listing of the Unesco Sites

• yestravel on Aug 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Go to Syria now?  I don’t think so.

• bilboburgler on Aug 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I’ve just read up your comments on Bosra and I suspect whoever wrote it for you has never been as I cannot recognise it from your description

• bilboburgler on Aug 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

So, I come to two conclusions, one that since these places are under pressure we should put them under more pressure “before they go” hardly a good idea???

Then Aleppo and Palmyria are just about ruined due to the warfare going on.  If you are so stupid as to try and go and see them right now then you will have an experience!  I think Krac de Chevalier is struggling from shelling while I think the Bosra (theatre/fortress) will be in some terrible shape now (still it survived 2000 years of battle so maybe it will be ok)

• redcheetah on Aug 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM

4 of your 15 sites are in Syria.  Fortunately for me I have been there - but I would not recommend going there now!  Find places we can actually see at the moment.

• redcheetah on Aug 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM

• nankie on Aug 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM

please put on one page. so annoying to have to click through.

• thursdaysd on Aug 17, 2013 at 09:45 AM

Do you think you might manage to get the photos to match the text?