Roaring Twenties-Themed NYLO Hotel to Open in NYC
Early September will see the NYC launch of NYLO Hotels, which are already in Texas and Providence, Rhode Island.
The Upper West Side 285-room hotel carries a Roaring Twenties theme with Prohibition Era décor (plus, cocktails at LOCL Bar that include Upper West Side Old-Fashioned and Strawberry Fields Bramble). Mimicking the urban-loft setting popular in New York City residences, NYLO New York City also aims to cultivate a social atmosphere through contemporary design, art, and music while still clinging to the building's historic roots. In the lobby of this century-old hotel, for example, are Chesterfield sofas along with an original fireplace and a 1920s French-elevator system.
In addition to the 285 rooms there are 33 suites. Some offer views of the Hudson River and Central Park via private balconies. A palette of light colors is paired with vibrant hues: for example, a bright-blue throw pillow on a cream wing-backed chair, or lime-green and sky-blue drawers. Works from local artists are hung on the walls and all furnishings are custom-made.
As the first hotel in the States to offer Monscierge—a digital concierge that recommends what locals like in terms of entertainment, food, drink, and shopping—guests can have expert guidance at their fingertips. For another live-like-a-local perk, guests can easily order room service from Seamless and Delivery apps, which delivers meals from neighborhood institutions.
There are three options for noshing and imbibing within the hotel: LOCL Bar (Prohibition Era cocktails in a speakeasy-themed bar), Serafina (Northern Italian cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus a sidewalk cafe), RedFarm (described as Greenmarket meets Chinese food).
Rates at NYLO New York City start at $259 per night. As a pet-friendly hotel, guests are invited to bring their dogs ($40 per night additional fee).
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of NYLO Hotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $69 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into 2015, O/WVirgin America
- $79 & up -- St. Petersburg Oceanfront Resort, Reg. $181BookIt.com
- $169 & up -- Fall Weekends at NYC-Area 4-Star Hotel, 60% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport
- $515* & up -- South America Flights from the US (Roundtrip)LAN
- $279 -- Bahamas Weekend Cruise: Oceanview, All Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $2149 & up -- Luxe China River Cruise w/Air, $1100 OffVacances Sinorama