NYC's New Hotel Boutique at Grand Central Targets Budget Travelers
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan can prove quite the challenge. That's what inspired Hotel Boutique at Grand Central, part of the Downtown Hotel Collection of properties in Chicago, London, and New York City, to pop up in Midtown last week as the newest member of the hotel group. (Its other budget-conscious hotels include The Jewel and World Center Hotel (also in New York City) and River Hotel (in Chicago).)
Perched on the corner of Lexington Avenue and East 45th Street, the 100-room Hotel Boutique is set right across the street from Grand Central Terminal and smack-dab in the midst of Midtown. Rooms are decked out with modern, clean lines and warm colors like chocolate-brown and olive-green, paired with light-colored woods and off-white walls. Providing lots of space to stretch out—a rarity for a Manhattan hotel room—each room also features sectional seating and a desk chair with swiveling table. Some rooms even boast views of the Chrysler Building with floor-to-ceiling glass windows, while still others provide a kitchenette. Free Wi-Fi and unlimited bottled waters in the rooms are two more perks, as are iPads on loan. In the hotel's lounge are opportunities to fuel up with free coffee and tea or read newspapers and magazines.
The first New York City outpost of Davio's is located within the hotel, too, offering steakhouse fare and dishes inspired by Northern Italy. Through the adjacent Club Quarters, which shares the same ownership, but has a separate lobby and entrance, guests can also order out from local, handpicked restaurants and charge it to their rooms. Plus, in lieu of trekking to the fitness center, guests can also have yoga gear, a stationary bicycle, and a treadmill delivered right to their guestrooms.
Grand-opening rates start at $199 per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of the Hotel Boutique at Grand Central
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
I travel quite a bit and had mainly used traveocity, expedia,and a few others but recently I found a site called easybookeng.com it compares hundreds of sites in a single search. It saved me a lot of time I just reserved my
room for Superbowl 2014 and saved about 80% off the going rate.
I have to travel a lot for my business, mostly in Europe, but often in the states to great cities like New York.
I used to use sites like Travelocity to book my hotels, but I quickly found the better way to find deals: go to the second level sites - those like ReservationCreation.com/new-york-city-ny.html who compare the hundreds of different booking sites in one single search. You'll not only see Trivago or Expedia deals, but ALL OF THEM in one place.
I must have saved over 3,000 Euros since I started using ReservationCreation. I sincerely believe that using only one of the top booking sites is not necessarily the best idea.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- 15 Under-the-Radar Vacation Destinations
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $349 & up -- Ends 12/2: Mexico Cruises w/$250 CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $895 -- Norway: Northern Lights Winter Expedition, $800 OffHurtigruten
- $599 & up -- Jamaica: Riu Negril Getaway w/Air, Save $300CheapCaribbean.com
- $159 & up -- LA: West Hollywood Hotel Deals w/ExtrasVisit West Hollywood
- $63-$71 -- LA: Manhattan Beach Hotel w/Airport ShuttlesBookIt.com
- $1170 & up -- Weeklong Irish Castle Escape w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations