New Resort in Oaxaca, Mexico, Heats Up Winter Travel
Now, the Mexico-based hotel group expands to Oaxaca, Mexico, with the December 1 opening of Hotel Escondido, just north of the village of Puerto Escondido. It's tucked between the Pacific Ocean and the Sierra Madre del Sur mountain range. Sixteen beachfront bungalows featuring palapa (open-air and thatched) roofs—each with its own plunge pool and outdoor hammock—contribute to a surfer-glam vibe, appropriately so, as the destination has long been a haven for wanderlust surfers. Nearby Zicatela Beach is one of the world's most famous surf spots, while non-surfers can enjoy water sports like kayaking and sailing
Mexican architect Federico Rivera Rio engineered the design so that it's authentically beachy, including floors constructed from tropical woods and lots of natural light that spills through wooden slats. For a little bit of pampering, in-room massages can be arranged through the hotel. (There are also two treatment rooms at Hotel Escondido's spa.) It's also part of the Design Hotels group, which handpicks properties around the globe to market for their high-end, hip design.
The hotel's restaurant culls the local landscape to develop dishes that are reminiscent of Oaxacan cuisine, like the local catch of the day cooked over an open grill at the beach.
Rates at Hotel Escondido start at $185 per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Hotel Escondido
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- $10.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $989 & up -- Puerto Vallarta Beach Trip w/Air, Kids Eat FreeCheapCaribbean.com
- $959 & up -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $119-$139 -- Hilton Head 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 30% OffHilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
- $999 & up -- Riviera Nayarit: All-Suite, 4-Star Trip w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $78 & up -- NYC: Manhattan Hotel near Times Square, 70% OffBookIt.com