New Resort in Oaxaca, Mexico, Heats Up Winter Travel
Now, the Mexico-based hotel group expands to Oaxaca, Mexico, with the December 1 opening of Hotel Escondido, just north of the village of Puerto Escondido. It's tucked between the Pacific Ocean and the Sierra Madre del Sur mountain range. Sixteen beachfront bungalows featuring palapa (open-air and thatched) roofs—each with its own plunge pool and outdoor hammock—contribute to a surfer-glam vibe, appropriately so, as the destination has long been a haven for wanderlust surfers. Nearby Zicatela Beach is one of the world's most famous surf spots, while non-surfers can enjoy water sports like kayaking and sailing
Mexican architect Federico Rivera Rio engineered the design so that it's authentically beachy, including floors constructed from tropical woods and lots of natural light that spills through wooden slats. For a little bit of pampering, in-room massages can be arranged through the hotel. (There are also two treatment rooms at Hotel Escondido's spa.) It's also part of the Design Hotels group, which handpicks properties around the globe to market for their high-end, hip design.
The hotel's restaurant culls the local landscape to develop dishes that are reminiscent of Oaxacan cuisine, like the local catch of the day cooked over an open grill at the beach.
Rates at Hotel Escondido start at $185 per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Hotel Escondido
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in Paris
- 5 Reasons to Visit El Salvador
- 10 Best Caribbean All-Inclusive Resorts for 2015
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $159 & up -- Baja Mexico: Weekend Cruises to EnsenadaCarnival Cruise Line
- $59 & up -- Suite: 5-Star Vegas Hotel into Spring, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $119-$149 -- CA: Sonoma Wine Country Hotel incl. WeekendsDoubleTree Sonoma Wine Country
- 15% Off -- Save Now on Weekend Car RentalsCarRentals.com
- $867* & up -- Flights to Argentina from the U.S. (Roundtrip)LAN
- $149 & up -- 4-Star Midtown Manhattan Westin, 40% OffThe Westin New York Grand Central