New Resort in Oaxaca, Mexico, Heats Up Winter Travel
Now, the Mexico-based hotel group expands to Oaxaca, Mexico, with the December 1 opening of Hotel Escondido, just north of the village of Puerto Escondido. It's tucked between the Pacific Ocean and the Sierra Madre del Sur mountain range. Sixteen beachfront bungalows featuring palapa (open-air and thatched) roofs—each with its own plunge pool and outdoor hammock—contribute to a surfer-glam vibe, appropriately so, as the destination has long been a haven for wanderlust surfers. Nearby Zicatela Beach is one of the world's most famous surf spots, while non-surfers can enjoy water sports like kayaking and sailing
Mexican architect Federico Rivera Rio engineered the design so that it's authentically beachy, including floors constructed from tropical woods and lots of natural light that spills through wooden slats. For a little bit of pampering, in-room massages can be arranged through the hotel. (There are also two treatment rooms at Hotel Escondido's spa.) It's also part of the Design Hotels group, which handpicks properties around the globe to market for their high-end, hip design.
The hotel's restaurant culls the local landscape to develop dishes that are reminiscent of Oaxacan cuisine, like the local catch of the day cooked over an open grill at the beach.
Rates at Hotel Escondido start at $185 per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Hotel Escondido
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places Where Summer Lasts Longer
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- America's Best Oktoberfests
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Top 10 Things to Do in Sonoma County (Besides Drink Wine)
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- $329-$379 -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 45%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- $799 -- Balcony on 2015 Caribbean Cruises w/Tips, Save $550CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $999 & up -- Ends 10/14: Hawaii Cruises w/Onboard CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1730 & up -- Milan & Lake Como 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $183-$269 -- NYC: Manhattan Westin thru Holidays, 40% OffThe Westin New York Grand Central
- $109-$149 -- Weekends: Houston Hotel near Galleria, 60% OffThe Westin Galleria Houston