New Luxury Resort Opening in Sochi, Russia this Winter
Already in the global spotlight due to the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics, Solis Sochi Hotel & Suites—from Capella Hotels & Resorts—opens later this year in Sochi, Russia. It's in perfect pitch with opening day of the Olympics, which is February 7, 2014.
As a ski-in, ski-out resort, the 120-room property in Gorky Gorod 960—a brand-new village near Sochi, which is host city for the upcoming Olympics—touts a luxury vibe. A restaurant, bar, après-ski café, a ballroom with a terrace, and a bar in the lobby are tucked into the Caucasus Mountains, affording lots of mountain views due to it being built into a steep incline.
Included in the hotel's design are 52 suites and spacious rooms. Arketipo Design, with offices in Turkey and Dubai, was hired to cultivate a cutting-edge theme without compromising warmth. Hallway carpets are deep purples and yellows while next to each walk-in shower is a vanity back-lit with a purple hue. Also in the rooms: a calming palette of creams accented with pops of canary yellow and a soft purple. An Old Hollywood feel in the lobby is expressed in black-and-white club chairs along with diamond-encrusted, asymmetrical chandeliers, and gold squares on the floor. Also on site will be a spa for on-site pampering and a cozy, calming environment to wile away winter afternoons.
Other Solis hotels are in Guangzhou and Lake Ti, China; Lough Eske, Ireland; and Doha in Qatar. This is the first in Russia.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Solis Sochi
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $999 & up -- Maui: 5-Nt. Trip w/Hawaiian Activities & AirApple Vacations
- $270 & up -- Boston Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1528 & up -- Escorted 7-Nt. Sicily Splendors Land-Only TourApple Vacations
- $459 & up -- Weeklong Canada & New England CruiseCarnival Cruise Lines
- $859 & up -- Westin Maui: 3 Nights w/Air, Car & BreakfastPleasant Holidays
- $1299 -- Ireland in Fall: 4-City Trip w/Castle Stay & AirGreat Value Vacations