New Luxury Resort Opening in Sochi, Russia this Winter
Already in the global spotlight due to the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics, Solis Sochi Hotel & Suites—from Capella Hotels & Resorts—opens later this year in Sochi, Russia. It's in perfect pitch with opening day of the Olympics, which is February 7, 2014.
As a ski-in, ski-out resort, the 120-room property in Gorky Gorod 960—a brand-new village near Sochi, which is host city for the upcoming Olympics—touts a luxury vibe. A restaurant, bar, après-ski café, a ballroom with a terrace, and a bar in the lobby are tucked into the Caucasus Mountains, affording lots of mountain views due to it being built into a steep incline.
Included in the hotel's design are 52 suites and spacious rooms. Arketipo Design, with offices in Turkey and Dubai, was hired to cultivate a cutting-edge theme without compromising warmth. Hallway carpets are deep purples and yellows while next to each walk-in shower is a vanity back-lit with a purple hue. Also in the rooms: a calming palette of creams accented with pops of canary yellow and a soft purple. An Old Hollywood feel in the lobby is expressed in black-and-white club chairs along with diamond-encrusted, asymmetrical chandeliers, and gold squares on the floor. Also on site will be a spa for on-site pampering and a cozy, calming environment to wile away winter afternoons.
Other Solis hotels are in Guangzhou and Lake Ti, China; Lough Eske, Ireland; and Doha in Qatar. This is the first in Russia.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Solis Sochi
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 15 Things Not to Do in Paris
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 5 Reasons to Visit El Salvador
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in Paris
- World's Craziest Bar Concepts
- $378* & up -- Hawaii Fare Sale from West Coast (Roundtrip)Hawaiian Airlines
- $849-$952 -- Fiji & South Pacific Fare Sale (Roundtrip)Fiji Airways
- $10.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $197 & up -- D.C.: Stylish Westin Georgetown, Save 30%Westin Georgetown
- $99 & up -- Sonoma County Hotel Sale, up to 50% OffSonoma County Tourism
- $1499 -- 7-Night French River Cruise w/Drinks & TipsCMV River Cruises