New, Luxe Mandarin Oriental Opens in Shanghai
From a restaurant run by a Michelin-starred French chef to a crystal steam room in its spa, the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Pudong Shanghai is packed with luxuries to make a stay in the world's most populated city a definite retreat. (If you do need to leave the hotel, two Metro stations—Pudong Avenue and Lujiazui—are nearby.)
With 318 rooms and 44 suites, many with views of the Huangpu River in Shanghai's financial district, the in-room design features hardwood floors, soaking tubs, and embroidered silk blankets across the 14 room categories.
A total of six spots to nosh and imbibe—all with jaw-dropping décor—include Fifty 8° Grill (contemporary takes on French cuisine), Yong Yi Ting (dishes adopted from China's Jiang Nan region), Zest (the hotel's only all-day dining destination, offering a mix of Asian and International fare), Qi Bar (an outdoor bar open at night with sectional couches that can be partitioned for privacy), Riviera Lounge (afternoon tea), and The Mandarin Cake Shop (specializing in Shanghai's sweetest delicacies, from truffles to macaroons).
At Mandarin Oriental Hotel Pudong Shanghai's spa, its 13 treatment rooms (which are all suite-sized) are arranged around a garden. In addition to treatments, classes are offered in topics like Chinese astrology and palm reading. A tea room helps guests further unwind and a menu of spa-themed cuisine is served. Amenities throughout the facilities include a crystal steam room, indoor swimming pool, ice fountain, sauna, aromatherapy showers, and tepidarium chairs.
Eight packages were introduced with the hotel's opening, from the straight-forward "Your Second Night on Us" package (a complimentary night plus free WiFi, starting at CNY 3,400 ($554), through September 30, 2013) to the "Luxury Breaks" package (includes a daily dining or spa credit, from CNY 888 to CNY 1,888 ($144 to $308) with a minimum two-night stay, through September 15, 2013).
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Mandarin Oriental Hotels and Resorts
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Adding to the above thoughtful opening comments regarding the magnificent MO Shanghai and her wondrous staff: If possible, when booking your room/suite, do consider her Club Lounge as part of your package. Recently (week of 7 April, 2014), experienced a most efficient initial business travel stay at the MO Shanghai, before flying home to Singapore. Her Club Lounge access most gratefully utilized - as well as an upgrade to a serene River View Suite. (Will add this corporate stay closely followed MO working visits with her Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Tokyo sisters.) Will eventually submit a proper Fodor's review of the MO Shanghai, a property and staff that so easily met and exceeded my business travel expectations. Savour your MO Shanghai times.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things Not to Do at Walt Disney World
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- America's Most Scenic Roads
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- San Francisco's 15 Best Views
- Long Weekend in Bar Harbor | Fodor's
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago | Fodor's
- Ultimate Guide to Vienna's Coffee Renaissance
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 5 Reasons to Visit Asheville This Fall
- $219 & up -- 4-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $99-129 -- D.C.: Georgetown Hotel Over Holidays, Save 50%Washington Marriott Georgetown
- $679* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $3015* & up -- Worldwide Business Class Fares (R/T w/Tax)ASAP Tickets
- $56 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront 1-Bedroom Suite, 10% OffOcean Dunes Resort
- $91 & up -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 30%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa