New Hello Kitty Planes to Fly to US
Asia's ubiquitous cartoon feline cutie can now add another notch on her belt of world-domination. The newest conquest? Jumbo-jet aviation.
Hello Kitty's famous whiskered white face, along with assorted other animal friends, will grace Taiwanese EVA Air's new Los Angeles-bound B777 aircraft starting September 18. She's already emblazoned on planes flying to Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, China, and Guam, but this time the too-cute cat is plastered on the world's largest twinjet plane.
Her stardom knows no limits (see: Hello Kitty Beauty Spa, Hello Kitty Dental Clinic, Hello Kitty Hospital), so naturally the winsome whiskered kitty will also be found on more than 100 inflight items. Hello Kitty gummies, utensils, cake, playing cards, menu, headrest covers, tissues, and soap dispensers make the plane's interior a twee pastel paradise.
Don't be surprised if, just as you bite into your Hello Kitty–shaped cheese (or pasta, or mashed potatoes, or melon bites), flight attendants donning pink Hello Kitty aprons walk by selling limited edition duty-free Hello Kitty goods.
Before passengers even board, they're immersed in the Kitty White (Hello Kitty's "real name") universe: cat-stamped boarding passes and baggage stickers accompany the entirely pink, Kitty-covered gate, complete with a Hello Kitty playground.
The plane will have a to-be-determined theme, to follow the existing "Happy Music Time," "Speed Puff," "Magic," "Clouds," "World," and "Apple" themed jets. It will fly three times a week from Taipei to LA; and a European schedule is also reportedly in the works.
Sanrio (the Hello Kitty company) and EVA Air have collaborated since 2005, apparently much to the delight of kawaii-loving kids and teens, as well as more mature passengers, and even boys.
According to official sources, Hello Kitty weighs as much as three apples and is as tall as five apples—but her presence is certainly larger than life.
Photo credits: all photos courtesy of EVA Air
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- America's Best Wine Bars
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways