New Hello Kitty Planes to Fly to US
Asia's ubiquitous cartoon feline cutie can now add another notch on her belt of world-domination. The newest conquest? Jumbo-jet aviation.
Hello Kitty's famous whiskered white face, along with assorted other animal friends, will grace Taiwanese EVA Air's new Los Angeles-bound B777 aircraft starting September 18. She's already emblazoned on planes flying to Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, China, and Guam, but this time the too-cute cat is plastered on the world's largest twinjet plane.
Her stardom knows no limits (see: Hello Kitty Beauty Spa, Hello Kitty Dental Clinic, Hello Kitty Hospital), so naturally the winsome whiskered kitty will also be found on more than 100 inflight items. Hello Kitty gummies, utensils, cake, playing cards, menu, headrest covers, tissues, and soap dispensers make the plane's interior a twee pastel paradise.
Don't be surprised if, just as you bite into your Hello Kitty–shaped cheese (or pasta, or mashed potatoes, or melon bites), flight attendants donning pink Hello Kitty aprons walk by selling limited edition duty-free Hello Kitty goods.
Before passengers even board, they're immersed in the Kitty White (Hello Kitty's "real name") universe: cat-stamped boarding passes and baggage stickers accompany the entirely pink, Kitty-covered gate, complete with a Hello Kitty playground.
The plane will have a to-be-determined theme, to follow the existing "Happy Music Time," "Speed Puff," "Magic," "Clouds," "World," and "Apple" themed jets. It will fly three times a week from Taipei to LA; and a European schedule is also reportedly in the works.
Sanrio (the Hello Kitty company) and EVA Air have collaborated since 2005, apparently much to the delight of kawaii-loving kids and teens, as well as more mature passengers, and even boys.
According to official sources, Hello Kitty weighs as much as three apples and is as tall as five apples—but her presence is certainly larger than life.
Photo credits: all photos courtesy of EVA Air
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $828* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1528 & up -- Escorted 7-Nt. Sicily Splendors Land-Only TourApple Vacations
- $179-$197 -- NYC: Weekends at 4-Star Downtown HotelSheraton New York Tribeca
- $69 & up -- Las Vegas Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $598 -- 7-Night Pacific Coastal Cruise w/$75 Onboard CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $3599 -- Balcony: Weeklong Mediterranean Cruise w/AirfareOceania Cruises