New Design Hotel Opens in Kiev
Hotel design is heating up in the Ukraine with the opening of 11 Mirrors, a boutique hotel inspired by heavyweight boxer and apparent globetrotter Wladimir Klitschko’s travels and his interpretation of Ukraine's capital city, Kiev. Located in the heart of Kiev, near the National Opera House, 11 Mirrors is within walking distance to cafes, restaurants and art galleries.
Throughout the 11 floors and 49 guest rooms of 11 Mirrors—the first Design Hotels property in Kiev—the work of interior designers Anatoliy Kirik and Marina Leo comes to life. The designers' goal was to marry global trends with timeless elegance, all within the shell of a 19th century building. Guests enter through a granite facade and step into a lobby marked by natural stone walls, a fireplace, and a stained-glass ceiling, along with the namesake mirrored wall designed by Kiev’s Fomichev Brothers. Majolica artist Taras Tkachenko designed ceramic decorations that contribute to 11 Mirrors’ streamlined minimalism.
Many of the hotel’s rooms and suites overlook Kiev’s historical center. Design elements like intimate lighting, dark woods, ample work spaces, fully stocked bars, and spacious bathrooms—along with surprising pops of color—cultivate the feel of a cozy home away from home. Did we mention the cocktail lounge with a crackling fireplace and an amber-colored bar?
Rates start at about $350/night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credit: Courtesy 11 Mirrors
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $235 & up -- S.C. 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $409 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruises w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $999 -- Huatulco 7-Night 'Dreams' All-Inclusive VacationApple Vacations
- $1411 & up -- Ireland in Fall: 8-Nt. Trip w/Car from OrlandoGreat Value Vacations
- $2539 & up -- Greece: Escorted 4-Star Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $679 & up -- Cabo: Riu Resort w/Kid's Club Trip incl. AirApple Vacations