National Pet Day: Puppy-Approved Road Trips
As you probably already know, it is National Pet Day! And we couldn't just let it pass by without a little celebration, so we're letting the pets take over.
We know the quandary all too well. Your beloved four-legged pals don't like being left behind, and you don't like leaving them behind. So now that the weather's warming up, why not plan a road trip and bring little Fido along? There's nothing cuter than seeing your pup hanging out a car window, ears flopping in the wind. So, we're here with all sorts of furry friend-approved road trip ideas...
Take a weekend this spring and embrace the great outdoors—there are vibrant flowers in bloom, warmer temps to bask in, and hikes to take all together from coast to coast. We picked our four top picks this season: Asheville, Palm Springs, Hill Country, and Lake Geneva.
You know what dogs love? Finding the warmest spot in the room and staying there. For hours. So why not take Fluffy on a sun-drenched road trip in Southern California? Dogs are always game for a long walk on the beach and coastal cruising. Plus, California is very dog-friendly.
Dogs also love scraps. While we're not condoning feeding them human food, what could be more fun that a beer, cheese, and wine-soaked trip with Fido by your side? He'll love running around Shelburne Farms and you'll love visiting the Ben & Jerry's factory. Just remember to bring extra treats for the road.
If you've done Vermont and seen it all in California, head further afield for a road trip in Southern Italy. From Tuscany to Rome, spring and summer in Italy offer perfect weather for spending days and nights outside. Enjoy a glass of wine on the terrace while your favorite little pup snoozes by your feet.
Dogs are also very good companions to have on discovery adventures—they scope out new places faster than you can say "do you allow dogs?" So follow in Davy Crockett's footsteps on this road trip inspired by the iconic frontier-man that takes you to Tennessee and Texas.
No time to take a spring road trip? Plan ahead and go this summer! If you're leaving from NYC, we like the classic drive up the Hudson stopping in Sleepy Hollow and the Catskills. Or if you're heading out from Portland, why not start in Astoria, Oregon and stop in Depoe Bay where you can do a little whale watching?
Photo credits: Spring Road Trips dog via Shutterstock; Southern California dog courtesy of Jon Jackson; Vermont-bound Cocker Spaniel via Shutterstock; Golden retriever in Italy via Shutterstock; Adventurous dog via Shutterstock; Summer loving dog via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $77 & up -- Suite at North Myrtle Beach Resort, 40% OffBeach Cove Resort
- $1615 & up -- Bali & Singapore 6-Nts. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $119 & up -- New Orleans Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $899 -- Riviera Maya 7-Night All-Incl. Beachfront VacationApple Vacations
- $1198* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $2199 -- Oceanview: Tahiti 7-Night Luxury Cruise, $1000 OffWindstar Cruises