National Parks Free Over Veterans Day Weekend
As the east coast begins to emerge after Hurricane Sandy and the rest of the country looks forward to a weekend spent outside before bulky sweater season truly begins, we thought we'd let you in on a tip: on Veterans' Day weekend (November 10-12), all of the country's nearly 400 national parks will be FREE. No fees, just fun. How's that for something to look forward to?
Lace up your boots and do a couple miles on the Appalachian Trail. Hike the alien peaks and wildflower-speckled meadows of Glacier National Park. Go mountain biking in Death Valley National Park. We have a distinct advantage in this country in that our terrain is incredibly varied, even within parks themselves. National parks are not merely the domains of hardcore backcountry hikers. They're meant for everybody and every level of outdoorsiness. Plenty have short, flat walking paths and host less strenuous activities like ranger programs or tours of historic homes. What's important is that this land be utilized (responsibly and sustainably, of course). And if you can do so for free, why wouldn't you?
For more information on specific park programs, or to find a park near you visit NPS.gov.
Photos courtesy of National Park Service
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Fares into 2015, O/WVirgin America
- $9.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $178 & up -- Holidays at NYC-Area 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport
- $2699 -- Yangtze River Cruise & Shanghai-Overnight w/AirSinorama Holidays
- $2583* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $169 & up -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites