National Parks Free Over Veterans Day Weekend
As the east coast begins to emerge after Hurricane Sandy and the rest of the country looks forward to a weekend spent outside before bulky sweater season truly begins, we thought we'd let you in on a tip: on Veterans' Day weekend (November 10-12), all of the country's nearly 400 national parks will be FREE. No fees, just fun. How's that for something to look forward to?
Lace up your boots and do a couple miles on the Appalachian Trail. Hike the alien peaks and wildflower-speckled meadows of Glacier National Park. Go mountain biking in Death Valley National Park. We have a distinct advantage in this country in that our terrain is incredibly varied, even within parks themselves. National parks are not merely the domains of hardcore backcountry hikers. They're meant for everybody and every level of outdoorsiness. Plenty have short, flat walking paths and host less strenuous activities like ranger programs or tours of historic homes. What's important is that this land be utilized (responsibly and sustainably, of course). And if you can do so for free, why wouldn't you?
For more information on specific park programs, or to find a park near you visit NPS.gov.
Photos courtesy of National Park Service
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com