National Parks Free Over Veterans Day Weekend
As the east coast begins to emerge after Hurricane Sandy and the rest of the country looks forward to a weekend spent outside before bulky sweater season truly begins, we thought we'd let you in on a tip: on Veterans' Day weekend (November 10-12), all of the country's nearly 400 national parks will be FREE. No fees, just fun. How's that for something to look forward to?
Lace up your boots and do a couple miles on the Appalachian Trail. Hike the alien peaks and wildflower-speckled meadows of Glacier National Park. Go mountain biking in Death Valley National Park. We have a distinct advantage in this country in that our terrain is incredibly varied, even within parks themselves. National parks are not merely the domains of hardcore backcountry hikers. They're meant for everybody and every level of outdoorsiness. Plenty have short, flat walking paths and host less strenuous activities like ranger programs or tours of historic homes. What's important is that this land be utilized (responsibly and sustainably, of course). And if you can do so for free, why wouldn't you?
For more information on specific park programs, or to find a park near you visit NPS.gov.
Photos courtesy of National Park Service
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $549 & up -- 10-Nt. Mediterranean Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1159 & up -- Balcony on Weeklong Fjords of Norway CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $1249 & up -- Big Island & Maui 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $499 & up -- Oceanview: 7 Nt. Cruise to the CaribbeanMSC Cruises
- $529 & up -- Weeklong Cruise to the Bahamas, $190 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $10.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com