National Parks Free Over Veterans Day Weekend
As the east coast begins to emerge after Hurricane Sandy and the rest of the country looks forward to a weekend spent outside before bulky sweater season truly begins, we thought we'd let you in on a tip: on Veterans' Day weekend (November 10-12), all of the country's nearly 400 national parks will be FREE. No fees, just fun. How's that for something to look forward to?
Lace up your boots and do a couple miles on the Appalachian Trail. Hike the alien peaks and wildflower-speckled meadows of Glacier National Park. Go mountain biking in Death Valley National Park. We have a distinct advantage in this country in that our terrain is incredibly varied, even within parks themselves. National parks are not merely the domains of hardcore backcountry hikers. They're meant for everybody and every level of outdoorsiness. Plenty have short, flat walking paths and host less strenuous activities like ranger programs or tours of historic homes. What's important is that this land be utilized (responsibly and sustainably, of course). And if you can do so for free, why wouldn't you?
For more information on specific park programs, or to find a park near you visit NPS.gov.
Photos courtesy of National Park Service
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand