National Geographic Exhibit Hits Las Vegas
It’s out with Da Vinci and in with National Geographic at the Venetian. Starting this Thursday, the Imagine Exhibitions Gallery will play host to the 50 Greatest Photographs of National Geographic.
The vaunted publication, in business since 1888, sifted through its 125-year archive to select 50 iconic photos for the exhibit. That means that of the 1.5 million photos shot on assignment and 1,000 that make it into the monthly publication, only .0001 percent of the photos are represented.
Look for images such as William Allard’s 1967 shot of the Basque countryside—the oldest photo in the exhibit. Others include Lynsey Addario’s Afghan women in blue, Michael Nichols’ redwood tree, Paolo Pellegrin’s Dead Sea and Wes Skiles’ caves in the Bahamas.
Other memorable snaps, like Thomas Abercrombie’s never-before-seen view of Mecca, Nick Nichols’ image of Jane Goodall with her chimpanzees, and Steve McCurry’s photo of an Afghan girl whose sea green eyes have haunted the world since 1985, will also be on display.
The exhibit, normally housed in the National Geographic Museum in Washington, D.C., was originally created in 2011 and has spent time traveling to Tokyo, Mexico and Mongolia.
Now the exhibit will spend time in Vegas within the 6,800-square-foot gallery. While fans take in the originals, they can also discover the stories behind the photos and learn more about the photographers themselves.
Some images even include the near frames, the sequence of images made in the field before and after the perfect shot. Documentary videos throughout the exhibition tell the stories behind these iconic photographs and the photographers who shot them.
The limited engagement exhibit is open daily starting Feb. 14 from 9:30 am to 7 pm Tickets are $16 for general admission; $13 for students with a valid ID, Nevada residents, military and seniors; and free for children 12 and under.
Photo Credits: Bruce Dale, Tail of Plane in Flight, Courtesy of National Geographic; Chris Johns, Lion in the Kalahari Desert, courtesy of National Geographic; Steve McCurry, Afghan Girl, courtesy of National Geographic
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 15 Things Not to Do in Paris
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- World's Craziest Bar Concepts
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- $229 & up -- Baja Mexico: Weekend Cruises to EnsenadaCarnival Cruise Line
- $197 & up -- D.C.: Stylish Westin Georgetown, Save 30%Westin Georgetown
- $94 & up -- Atlanta Area Hotels on Sale through SpringStarwood Hotels & Resorts
- $95 & up -- Toronto Harbor Hotel incl. Weekends, Save 35%Westin Harbour Castle Toronto
- $20 & up -- Arizona Tour, Spa, Golf & Dining Deals, 70% OffVisit Arizona
- $11.66 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com