Napcabs Debuts Sleeping Pods at Munich Airport
We've all attempted it—the quick nap between flights at the airport, wedged betwixt a row of chairs and a recycling bin, our carry-on for a pillow. Not the most restful sleep, is it? Well at Terminal 2 of the Munich Airport, passengers can snooze in style via napcabs. When we first heard the term, we immediately thought of some sort of large van with cots (a la the "Relaxicab" from Friends), but as it turns out, napcabs are stationary pods one can rent for some quick Zzz's or just some peace and quiet.
Guests use the touchscreen on the napcab to book a specific amount of time in the pod. According to their site, once in, guests can leave for short stints (to grab a bottle of water, let's say) and then upon "checkout," napcab service people are called to clean the cabin and put down fresh sheets.
The inside of the room has a full bed and workstation, a multimedia touch screen with preloaded video and audio, flight information, alarm clock, internet access, and air conditioning. There's even a blind on the window of the front door for privacy.
Rates start about $13 per hour depending on the time of day, but there is a $40 minimum. Is it a little pricy? Sure. But when you're staring down a five-hour layover parked in front of some chain restaurant chock-full of unhappy children, a little time to yourself might be worth the money.
No word yet on when or if other airports will be installing napcabs. Perhaps the collective sigh of thousands of business travelers will move them along?
Photos courtesy of Napcabs
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Love this idea!! Other airports, are you listening?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- America's Best Wine Bars
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 15 Best Places to Drink Hot Chocolate in America
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays