Napcabs Debuts Sleeping Pods at Munich Airport
We've all attempted it—the quick nap between flights at the airport, wedged betwixt a row of chairs and a recycling bin, our carry-on for a pillow. Not the most restful sleep, is it? Well at Terminal 2 of the Munich Airport, passengers can snooze in style via napcabs. When we first heard the term, we immediately thought of some sort of large van with cots (a la the "Relaxicab" from Friends), but as it turns out, napcabs are stationary pods one can rent for some quick Zzz's or just some peace and quiet.
Guests use the touchscreen on the napcab to book a specific amount of time in the pod. According to their site, once in, guests can leave for short stints (to grab a bottle of water, let's say) and then upon "checkout," napcab service people are called to clean the cabin and put down fresh sheets.
The inside of the room has a full bed and workstation, a multimedia touch screen with preloaded video and audio, flight information, alarm clock, internet access, and air conditioning. There's even a blind on the window of the front door for privacy.
Rates start about $13 per hour depending on the time of day, but there is a $40 minimum. Is it a little pricy? Sure. But when you're staring down a five-hour layover parked in front of some chain restaurant chock-full of unhappy children, a little time to yourself might be worth the money.
No word yet on when or if other airports will be installing napcabs. Perhaps the collective sigh of thousands of business travelers will move them along?
Photos courtesy of Napcabs
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Love this idea!! Other airports, are you listening?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $143 & up -- San Francisco Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $2199 -- Luxe Tahiti 7-Night Cruise w/$300 Credit, $1200 OffWindstar Cruises
- $1119 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Nt. Greek Isles Cruise, Save $330Royal Caribbean
- $3099 -- India & Nepal 13-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $400Friendly Planet Travel
- $5199 -- Namibia 11-Night Adventure w/Air, Save $600Friendly Planet Travel
- $66* & up -- Nationwide Spring Fares into May, One WayVirgin America