Napcabs Debuts Sleeping Pods at Munich Airport
We've all attempted it—the quick nap between flights at the airport, wedged betwixt a row of chairs and a recycling bin, our carry-on for a pillow. Not the most restful sleep, is it? Well at Terminal 2 of the Munich Airport, passengers can snooze in style via napcabs. When we first heard the term, we immediately thought of some sort of large van with cots (a la the "Relaxicab" from Friends), but as it turns out, napcabs are stationary pods one can rent for some quick Zzz's or just some peace and quiet.
Guests use the touchscreen on the napcab to book a specific amount of time in the pod. According to their site, once in, guests can leave for short stints (to grab a bottle of water, let's say) and then upon "checkout," napcab service people are called to clean the cabin and put down fresh sheets.
The inside of the room has a full bed and workstation, a multimedia touch screen with preloaded video and audio, flight information, alarm clock, internet access, and air conditioning. There's even a blind on the window of the front door for privacy.
Rates start about $13 per hour depending on the time of day, but there is a $40 minimum. Is it a little pricy? Sure. But when you're staring down a five-hour layover parked in front of some chain restaurant chock-full of unhappy children, a little time to yourself might be worth the money.
No word yet on when or if other airports will be installing napcabs. Perhaps the collective sigh of thousands of business travelers will move them along?
Photos courtesy of Napcabs
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Love this idea!! Other airports, are you listening?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage for 2014
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- Top 15 Beach Destinations for Winter Escapes
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- 5 Reasons to Visit Nuremberg
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $1084* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $2098 & up -- 5-star London Vacation w/Breakfasts & AirGreat Value Vacations
- $895 -- Norway: Northern Lights Winter Expedition, $800 OffHurtigruten
- $91 -- Jamaica: Suite at 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, 60% OffBookIt.com
- $98 & up -- Downtown Denver 4-Star Hotel, 60% OffSheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
- $89 -- Weekends at West Houston Hotel incl. BreakfastSheraton Houston West Hotel