Mushroom Garden to Sprout in London Underground
Maximizing urban spaces by incorporating natural elements is becoming a global trend. One of the latest re-imaginings, the "High Line for London" Ideas Competition by the Landscape Institute, has announced its winning idea. And it's all about funghi. That's right, London's closed Mail Rail tunnel, located under Oxford Street, will soon be the setting for "Pop Down," a subterranean urban mushroom garden by Fletcher Priest Architects. The garden will be lit aboveground by fiberglass mushroom sculptures.
The idea bested 169 others in the institute's competition, which was co-sponsored by the Mayor of London and the Garden Museum. Inspired by New York City's High Line, an urban garden space built on the skeleton of an old elevated railway in the city's Meatpacking District, the competition was even judged in part by Joshua David and Robert Hammond, who co-founded Friends of the High Line in New York.
Runner-up to Pop Down was "The Lido Line" by [Y/N] Studio, a design for a clean public swimming area in the Regent's Canal running from Little Venice to Limehouse. Other ideas included gardens atop bus shelters, and a park/farm/wetland project build on barges along Canary Wharf.
Photo courtesy of Fletcher Priest Architects
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $72 & up -- Phoenix Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1649 & up -- Oahu: 4.5-Star Disney Aulani Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $679 & up -- Cabo: Riu Resort w/Kid's Club Trip incl. AirApple Vacations
- $299 -- Maui: Oceanfront 4-Star Resort, Save 20%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $169 & up -- Weekend Cruise to Baja Mexico on CarnivalCarnival Cruise Lines
- $224 & up -- NYC: Times Square Westin thru Summer, Reg. $400The Westin New York Times Square