Mushroom Garden to Sprout in London Underground
Maximizing urban spaces by incorporating natural elements is becoming a global trend. One of the latest re-imaginings, the "High Line for London" Ideas Competition by the Landscape Institute, has announced its winning idea. And it's all about funghi. That's right, London's closed Mail Rail tunnel, located under Oxford Street, will soon be the setting for "Pop Down," a subterranean urban mushroom garden by Fletcher Priest Architects. The garden will be lit aboveground by fiberglass mushroom sculptures.
The idea bested 169 others in the institute's competition, which was co-sponsored by the Mayor of London and the Garden Museum. Inspired by New York City's High Line, an urban garden space built on the skeleton of an old elevated railway in the city's Meatpacking District, the competition was even judged in part by Joshua David and Robert Hammond, who co-founded Friends of the High Line in New York.
Runner-up to Pop Down was "The Lido Line" by [Y/N] Studio, a design for a clean public swimming area in the Regent's Canal running from Little Venice to Limehouse. Other ideas included gardens atop bus shelters, and a park/farm/wetland project build on barges along Canary Wharf.
Photo courtesy of Fletcher Priest Architects
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 10 Places to Go for Spring 2015
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Washington State
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 6 Must-Have French Beauty Products
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- $139 & up -- Mediterranean Cruises incl. Spain & FranceNorwegian Cruise Line
- $139 -- Fort Lauderdale 4-Star Hotel w/Breakfast, 45% OffSonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
- $732* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $1299 & up -- 9-Nts. Prague, Vienna & Budapest w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $1235 & up -- 6-Nt Madrid & Barcelona Trip w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $199 & up -- Boston: 3-Diamond Cambridge Hotel, 30% OffSheraton Commander Hotel