Modern Memmo Alfama Hotel Opens in Lisbon
A member of Design Hotels, the new Memmo Alfama is a 42-room hotel that reinvents traditional hotel concepts. For example, instead of walking towards a check-in desk, guests approach a lounge styled like a living room. (Checking in can take place anywhere within the hotel, even at the hotel's bar.) Books can be borrowed from the hotel's library, perfect for travelers who already blew through the book they packed. A fridge stocked with beverages in the library operates on an honor system. A buffet breakfast of mostly locally sourced foods is eaten at a communal table and guests help themselves to whatever is in the fridge that morning. For tips on what to do in the neighborhood, the "Living Alfama" list features personal recommendations from staff to help guests "live like a local."
A team of architects including Samuel Torres de Carvalho and João Corrêa Nunes honed in on a cozy vibe by using lots of wood materials and warm colors. Portuguese street artist Alexandre Farto aka Vhils was commissioned to create a mural for one exterior wall of the building that the hotel is in. Framed in the windows of each room are stunning views of the River Tagus or the Alfama neighborhood. Surrounding a swimming pool are cheery-red umbrellas and chairs while the rooms are decidedly calmer with neutral shades of white and grey. From the terrace—which doubles as a wine bar (specializing in Portuguese picks) and dining destination (tapas and salads)—is a spectacular view of Portugal's capital city.
Rates at Memmo Alfama start at 145 euros ($195) per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Memmo Alfama/Design Hotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $45 & up -- Las Vegas Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $549 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Spring, $440 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $2199 -- Luxe Tahiti 7-Night Cruise w/$300 Credit, $1200 OffWindstar Cruises
- $3999 -- Oceanview Suite: 10-Night Luxury Asia CruiseWindstar Cruises
- $145 & up -- San Diego Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $609 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, 55% OffRoyal Caribbean