Sleek Mercy Hotel Debuts in Lisbon
Portugal is riding a wave of hotel openings, with several that debuted within the last year, including luxury chain properties like InterContinental Porto Palacio das Cardosas in Porto and Imani Country House an intimate 7-room retreat an hour outside of Lisbon) and many more still to come.
Opening on September 1 in Lisbon, the Mercy Hotel will give visitors to Portugal's capital (and largest) city a stylish place to bunk, with opening rates from 164 Euro/night. Most attractions are within a short walk from the hotel, which sits in the chic Bairro Alto district, home to nightlife, restaurants, bars, and great shopping on cobblestoned streets.
Designed by Miguel Saraiva, the look reflects the Pombaline style popular in downtown Lisbon during the 18th Century. Sleek black and neutral tones (like white, cream, gray, and khaki) are the dominant colors in each of the 47 minimally decorated guest rooms (there are six room types) with choices of quality fabrics like suede (covering some of the walls), silk, and velvet cultivating a warm, cozy feeling. Some rooms have views of Lisbon landmarks—Old Lisbon, Saint George's Castle, and the Tagus River. The best views are from private small terraces within the top-floor suites (of which there are two). Some of the rooms pay homage to Portuguese writers, with an English-language version of the book for guests to read during their stay. And free WiFi is available throughout the property.
At the on-site restaurant (Mercy Restaurant) on the ground floor, artfully plated Portuguese dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner are infused with flavors from other global regions. Wines are poured from the country's Douro Valley as well as Alentejo. Blue-accent walls and cherry-red chairs contribute to a chic vibe. For late-night nibbles and cocktails there are two bars (one attached to Mercy Restaurant), as well as the Belvedere Terrace where you can take in a stunning view of Saint George's Castle.
Photos courtesy of The Mercy
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1009 & up -- Oahu & Kauai 6-Nts. w/Air, Hotels & TransferTripMasters.com
- $65 & up -- Barbados Travel Deals thru Summer, up to 60% OffBarbados Tourism Authority
- $118 & up -- Chicago Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Tours & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $99 & up -- Austin Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $75 & up -- Ocean View Room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffThe Caribbean Resort & Villas