Mira Moon: Hong Kong's Newest Mod Property
Tucked into Hong Kong's hip Wan Chai neighborhood, Mira Moon—sister hotel to the Mira Hong Kong—opened its doors in November. A member of the Design Hotels group, the 91-room property flaunts cutting-edge design (expect pops of cherry-red, along with glazed ceramics, paper lanterns, and glass shard accents), with inspiration drawn from the Chinese moon festival legend of Chang'er, along with the jade rabbit. Its interior design scheme was developed by AB Concept (also behind Four Seasons Shanghai and the W Hotel in Bali) and Dennis Lau & Ng Chun Man Architects and Engineers, of Hong Kong
The sleek 32-story hotel offers three room categories: Half Moon, New Moon, and Full Moon, plus the posh Moonshine Suite. Inside each tech-friendly unit is an Apple AirPlay music system, free Wi-Fi, preinstalled apps (for accessing hotel services, or for tips on local dining, shopping, and attractions) on an iPad Mini, a Nespresso coffee machine, and a minibar stocked with ingredients for DIY cocktails, along with complimentary sodas and beers. On the unique ladies-only floors is a spread of stockings, toiletries, and heels for fashion-emergency fixes.
Look, too, for the 50-seat restaurant Super Giant, which specializes in tapas with a Chinese-Spanish twist.
The surrounding Wan Chai neighborhood—once a hub for business travelers—has recently evolved to include must-sees like Star Street, lined with restaurants, art galleries, and shops.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 15 Under-the-Radar Vacation Destinations
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $159 -- Caribbean 5-Night Cruise on Princess w/$50 CreditPrincess Cruises
- $1461* & up -- Fly to Australia from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $188 & up -- Oahu Resort Sale over Holidays w/ExtrasBookIt.com
- $1529* & up -- Premium Economy Fares to Paris (Roundtrip)Air France
- $89 & up -- Hotel Deals Across Arizona through WinterVisit Arizona
- $978 & up -- Ireland: 4-City Vacation w/Air & Rental CarGreat Value Vacations