Mira Moon: Hong Kong's Newest Mod Property
Tucked into Hong Kong's hip Wan Chai neighborhood, Mira Moon—sister hotel to the Mira Hong Kong—opened its doors in November. A member of the Design Hotels group, the 91-room property flaunts cutting-edge design (expect pops of cherry-red, along with glazed ceramics, paper lanterns, and glass shard accents), with inspiration drawn from the Chinese moon festival legend of Chang'er, along with the jade rabbit. Its interior design scheme was developed by AB Concept (also behind Four Seasons Shanghai and the W Hotel in Bali) and Dennis Lau & Ng Chun Man Architects and Engineers, of Hong Kong
The sleek 32-story hotel offers three room categories: Half Moon, New Moon, and Full Moon, plus the posh Moonshine Suite. Inside each tech-friendly unit is an Apple AirPlay music system, free Wi-Fi, preinstalled apps (for accessing hotel services, or for tips on local dining, shopping, and attractions) on an iPad Mini, a Nespresso coffee machine, and a minibar stocked with ingredients for DIY cocktails, along with complimentary sodas and beers. On the unique ladies-only floors is a spread of stockings, toiletries, and heels for fashion-emergency fixes.
Look, too, for the 50-seat restaurant Super Giant, which specializes in tapas with a Chinese-Spanish twist.
The surrounding Wan Chai neighborhood—once a hub for business travelers—has recently evolved to include must-sees like Star Street, lined with restaurants, art galleries, and shops.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- $233-$269 -- NYC: Times Square Hotel incl. Holidays, 35% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $699 & up -- Puerto Vallarta Beach Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $1705 & up -- Costa Rica 8-Nt. Eco-Adventure incl. AirGreat Value Vacations
- $119-$149 -- Weekends: Houston Hotel near Galleria, 60% OffThe Westin Galleria Houston
- $3084* & up -- Premium Economy to New Zealand from LA, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1459 -- Hong Kong 5-Star Land-Only Trip w/Macau Day TourHong Kong Tourism Board