Metropolitan Museum Launches Travel Program
There's really no better way to see and understand art than to be surrounded by the culture, people, and settings that inspired it. The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Travel with the Met program features a new series of trips beginning in 2014 called Met Adventures.The trips will take travelers off the beaten path to visit sculptures, ancient cathedrals, and other artistic sites in unique, often-overlooked areas of the world.
Travelers, accompanied by an expert Met curator, can travel to picturesque Spanish villages for the "In the Footsteps of St. James: El Camino de Santiago" trip, or explore rugged Mongolian ruins during the "Nomads & Buddhas: Artisitc Traditions of Mongolia" trip, or visit a hidden Sri Lankan monastery with the "Tracing Ancient Buddhism" trip.
The trips are not for the weak of heart. Adventurers can expect days filled with miles of hiking, burial ground exploration, and even camping in a traditional ger tent. But these efforts will be well worth the many rewards. Other trip highlights include climbing 1,800 steps to reach the Mihintale Sanctuary (where Buddhism was introduced to Sri Lanka), visiting exquisite Spanish cathedrals (Burgos and León), and viewing the unique gold collection at the State Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg.
For more information on these trips visit the Met Adventures website
Trips range in price from $7,750 to $9,750.
Photo credit: Village in Spain via Dreamstime.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Small Airlines You Should Know
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- Fodor's Approved: 10 Best Carry-On Bags for 2014
- Top 15 Beach Destinations for Winter Escapes
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 5 Reasons to Visit Nuremberg
- $119-$149 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. Holidays, 50% OffThe Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
- $152 & up -- 4-Star Westin NYC-Area Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport
- $128-$136 -- Maine: Downtown Portland Hotel, 30% OffThe Westin Portland Harborview
- $203 & up -- NYC: Westin Times Square Hotel, 35% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $1461* & up -- Fly to Australia from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1099 -- Mediterranean: 14-Nt. Princess Cruise w/$300 CreditPrincess Cruises