Metropolitan Museum Launches Travel Program
There's really no better way to see and understand art than to be surrounded by the culture, people, and settings that inspired it. The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Travel with the Met program features a new series of trips beginning in 2014 called Met Adventures.The trips will take travelers off the beaten path to visit sculptures, ancient cathedrals, and other artistic sites in unique, often-overlooked areas of the world.
Travelers, accompanied by an expert Met curator, can travel to picturesque Spanish villages for the "In the Footsteps of St. James: El Camino de Santiago" trip, or explore rugged Mongolian ruins during the "Nomads & Buddhas: Artisitc Traditions of Mongolia" trip, or visit a hidden Sri Lankan monastery with the "Tracing Ancient Buddhism" trip.
The trips are not for the weak of heart. Adventurers can expect days filled with miles of hiking, burial ground exploration, and even camping in a traditional ger tent. But these efforts will be well worth the many rewards. Other trip highlights include climbing 1,800 steps to reach the Mihintale Sanctuary (where Buddhism was introduced to Sri Lanka), visiting exquisite Spanish cathedrals (Burgos and León), and viewing the unique gold collection at the State Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg.
For more information on these trips visit the Met Adventures website
Trips range in price from $7,750 to $9,750.
Photo credit: Village in Spain via Dreamstime.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- World's 10 Best Art Fairs
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- 10 Artists' Homes You Can Visit
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $3015* & up -- Worldwide Business Class Fares (R/T w/Tax)ASAP Tickets
- $119 & up -- Cleveland: Brand New 4-Star Hotel DowntownThe Westin Cleveland Downtown
- $9.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $165-$185 -- Seattle: 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 35%Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $209 & up -- S.C.: 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, 35% OffThe Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $4399 & up -- Australia Luxe Ayers Rock, Reef & Sydney w/AirDown Under Endeavours