Metropolitan Museum Launches Travel Program
There's really no better way to see and understand art than to be surrounded by the culture, people, and settings that inspired it. The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Travel with the Met program features a new series of trips beginning in 2014 called Met Adventures.The trips will take travelers off the beaten path to visit sculptures, ancient cathedrals, and other artistic sites in unique, often-overlooked areas of the world.
Travelers, accompanied by an expert Met curator, can travel to picturesque Spanish villages for the "In the Footsteps of St. James: El Camino de Santiago" trip, or explore rugged Mongolian ruins during the "Nomads & Buddhas: Artisitc Traditions of Mongolia" trip, or visit a hidden Sri Lankan monastery with the "Tracing Ancient Buddhism" trip.
The trips are not for the weak of heart. Adventurers can expect days filled with miles of hiking, burial ground exploration, and even camping in a traditional ger tent. But these efforts will be well worth the many rewards. Other trip highlights include climbing 1,800 steps to reach the Mihintale Sanctuary (where Buddhism was introduced to Sri Lanka), visiting exquisite Spanish cathedrals (Burgos and León), and viewing the unique gold collection at the State Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg.
For more information on these trips visit the Met Adventures website
Trips range in price from $7,750 to $9,750.
Photo credit: Village in Spain via Dreamstime.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $125 & up -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $899 & up -- Hawaii All-Islands Cruises w/Credit & UpgradesNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1006 & up -- Aruba: 4-Star Casino Resort Vacation w/AirfareApple Vacations
- $679 & up -- Cabo: Riu Resort w/Kid's Club Trip incl. AirApple Vacations
- $1890 & up -- Ireland in Summer: 6-Night B&B Vacation w/AirSceptre Tours
- $149-$179 -- Palm Springs 4-Star Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa