Luxury Singita Safari Camp Opens in Tanzania
Singita Mara River Tented Camp—from Singita, which also operates luxury lodges in Kruger National Park and Sabi Sand Reserve in South Africa—has just opened in the northernmost section of Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. Designed for fashionable and eco-friendly travelers alike (aren't they one and the same at this point?), it runs on solar power and features just six tents (two are suited for families with children over the age of 12) designed by Cécile & Boyd's that are an edgy twist on traditional safari camps. Think natural materials used to craft furnishings and local textile patterns too.
The camp comes with all the couture accompaniments you'd expect at a luxury hotel. Wake up in the morning to a cup of Fair Trade coffee and rejuvenate your body post-afternoon hike with a fresh-fruit smoothie. In a dining area, as well as a plein-air eating space, meals are health-conscious and light, but full on flavor and featuring grass-fed meat, organic eggs, homemade ice cream, and elaborate salads all made from ethically soured ingredients. Also on the property are a sundowner bar tent and a plunge pool.
Rates through the end of this year start at $1,200 per person per night, with a slight hike beginning in 2013 to $1,275 per person per night, and are all-inclusive with extra charges for French Champagne and any wines on the "connoisseurs'" wine list. Low-season rates start at $950 per night. Air transfers to the camp are not included and neither are Serengeti National Park fees of $50 per person per night ($60 after July 2013). Note that the camp is closed in March and April.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
All photos courtesy of Singita
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo
- $3999 -- South Africa: Luxury Trip w/Helicopter & Wine ToursLion World Travel
- $2899 -- Hong Kong & China: 10-Night Trip on 5-Star AirlineHong Kong Tourism Board
- $60 & up -- Myrtle Beach Fall Deals, Save up to 20%Visit Myrtle Beach
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $94-$151 -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 55% OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $178 & up -- Holidays at NYC-Area 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport