Luxury Singita Safari Camp Opens in Tanzania
Singita Mara River Tented Camp—from Singita, which also operates luxury lodges in Kruger National Park and Sabi Sand Reserve in South Africa—has just opened in the northernmost section of Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. Designed for fashionable and eco-friendly travelers alike (aren't they one and the same at this point?), it runs on solar power and features just six tents (two are suited for families with children over the age of 12) designed by Cécile & Boyd's that are an edgy twist on traditional safari camps. Think natural materials used to craft furnishings and local textile patterns too.
The camp comes with all the couture accompaniments you'd expect at a luxury hotel. Wake up in the morning to a cup of Fair Trade coffee and rejuvenate your body post-afternoon hike with a fresh-fruit smoothie. In a dining area, as well as a plein-air eating space, meals are health-conscious and light, but full on flavor and featuring grass-fed meat, organic eggs, homemade ice cream, and elaborate salads all made from ethically soured ingredients. Also on the property are a sundowner bar tent and a plunge pool.
Rates through the end of this year start at $1,200 per person per night, with a slight hike beginning in 2013 to $1,275 per person per night, and are all-inclusive with extra charges for French Champagne and any wines on the "connoisseurs'" wine list. Low-season rates start at $950 per night. Air transfers to the camp are not included and neither are Serengeti National Park fees of $50 per person per night ($60 after July 2013). Note that the camp is closed in March and April.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
All photos courtesy of Singita
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- Long Weekend in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- What to Pack: 10 Essential Beach Vacation Beauty Products
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- How to Plan a Geocaching Vacation
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $58* -- San Jose to Los Angeles this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $2499 -- Cuba: 6-Nt. Havana Vacation w/Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $569 & up -- 10-Night Alaska Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $59* -- San Diego to Mammoth this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $1029* -- Fly Nonstop to Fiji from West Coast, R/T incl. TaxFiji Airways
- $167 & up -- Boston: 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 45% OffThe Westin Boston Waterfront