Luxe Shangri-La Bosphorus Opens in Istanbul
The Shangri-La Bosphorus, Istanbul has at last opened, bringing layers of luxury to this already opulent city.
Tucked into the Besiktas district of Turkey's largest city (topping off at close to 14 million people), and near Dolmabahce Palace, the 186-room hotel (including 17 suites) has been eagerly anticipated, since plans to build it were first announced a few years ago.
Each room features views of either Istanbul's dramatic skyline or the Bosphorus Strait, which is the boundary between Europe and Asia—yet still within Istanbul. Free in-room WiFi allows you to stay connected and a marble-clad bathroom offers a separate shower and bathtub plus Bvlgari toiletries. Suites offer a separate living-room space to further unwind after a day of poring over spices and rugs at the Grand Bazaar, or traipsing through the city's many palaces and the Blue Mosque.
Shangri-La Bosphorus, Istanbul's restaurant—Shang Palace—specializes in Cantonese cuisine and is poised to be the city's go-to place for shi-shi Asian fare. IST TOO ensures you can have sushi (as well as favorite Mediterranean dishes) all day long. Afternoon tea service is available in the lobby lounge where, come nightfall, the space transforms into a tapas bar with live entertainment. CHI, The Spa, carries on the tradition of Turkish baths with a hammam and bathing treatments. A heated indoor swimming pool and fitness center can also be used by guests at CHI, The Spa, which is a spa concept featured at other Shangri-La properties around the world, from Vancouver to Bangkok.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Shangri La Hotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $125 & up -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $1936 & up -- Peru & Machu Picchu 7-Nt. Escorted Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $1399 -- Italy in Fall: 8-Night Rome & Tuscany Trip w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $739 & up -- 6-Nt. Vallarta Vacation on Private Beach w/AirApple Vacations
- $72 & up -- Phoenix Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $189-$199 -- Weekends at Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star HotelThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites