Abandoned Land of Oz Theme Park Reopens for Two Days
Put on your ruby slippers, we're off to see the Wizard. October 5 and 6, Oz-lovers of all ages can visit Beech Mountain, North Carolina to see the abandoned Land of Oz theme park during its once-a-year reopening, "Autumn at Oz."
The park, which opened in 1970 and stayed operational for only 10 years, once entertained guests with strolls along the Yellow Brick Road, the chance to meet characters like the Cowardly Lion, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and the Wicked Witch of the West, and a magical send-off of the Wizard in his balloon.
The park was forgotten for 10 years until, in 1990, the Emerald Mountain project began to develop the area. While many of the buildings are still derelict and some of the 44,000 yellow bricks are missing, other attractions have been reclaimed.
During this 20th annual celebration of "Autumn at Oz," visitors, who are encouraged to dress "Ozzie," have the chance to see Dorothy's farm, visit gazebos, check out the waterfall, pond, and fountain, and walk the yellow brick road. Interact with Dorothy, Tin Man, Scarecrow, and others during the fantasy weekend. Kids will enjoy the mini-museum, face-painting, and a small petting zoo.
All ticket proceeds go to the upkeep and restoration of the park. While this year's celebration is mostly sold out, you can reserve your own private tour or party through Emerald Mountain at any time or rent out Dorothy's house for a getaway.
Photos courtesy of Thomas Kerns/Kilted MadMan via Flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Tours & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $1289 & up -- Honolulu: 4.5-Star Waikiki 5-Nt. Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $1119 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Nt. Greek Isles Cruise, Save $330Royal Caribbean
- $66* & up -- Nationwide Spring Fares into May, One WayVirgin America
- $609 & up -- Hawaii 3-Night Vacations w/Air & Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $529 & up -- 8-Day Alaska Cruise incl. Glacier BayCarnival Cruise Lines