Abandoned Land of Oz Theme Park Reopens for Two Days
Put on your ruby slippers, we're off to see the Wizard. October 5 and 6, Oz-lovers of all ages can visit Beech Mountain, North Carolina to see the abandoned Land of Oz theme park during its once-a-year reopening, "Autumn at Oz."
The park, which opened in 1970 and stayed operational for only 10 years, once entertained guests with strolls along the Yellow Brick Road, the chance to meet characters like the Cowardly Lion, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and the Wicked Witch of the West, and a magical send-off of the Wizard in his balloon.
The park was forgotten for 10 years until, in 1990, the Emerald Mountain project began to develop the area. While many of the buildings are still derelict and some of the 44,000 yellow bricks are missing, other attractions have been reclaimed.
During this 20th annual celebration of "Autumn at Oz," visitors, who are encouraged to dress "Ozzie," have the chance to see Dorothy's farm, visit gazebos, check out the waterfall, pond, and fountain, and walk the yellow brick road. Interact with Dorothy, Tin Man, Scarecrow, and others during the fantasy weekend. Kids will enjoy the mini-museum, face-painting, and a small petting zoo.
All ticket proceeds go to the upkeep and restoration of the park. While this year's celebration is mostly sold out, you can reserve your own private tour or party through Emerald Mountain at any time or rent out Dorothy's house for a getaway.
Photos courtesy of Thomas Kerns/Kilted MadMan via Flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Top 10 State Fairs in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- Car Lover's Guide to Germany
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $840* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $2149 & up -- Luxe China River Cruise w/Air, $1100 OffVacances Sinorama
- $199 & up -- Seattle: 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 30%Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Sydney Trip w/Air & Tours, $460 OffDestination New South Wales
- $1537 & up -- Travel Deals from Virgin Australia, 45% OffVirgin Australia
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Caribbean Cruise on CelebrityAmerican Express Travel